Restoration in UK on STOC forum

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
There is a very interesting and informative Tiger restoration thread on the STOC forum in the UK. The thread is called "brads Tiger" and here is a link to it.

http://sunbeamtiger.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1043&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This a fairly new link and already has 10 pages. Lots of progressive photos and annotation. Be sure to see his rotisserie and his unique method of parts cleaning. Cleans of dirt, paint, and rust!

Oh yes, records show that this Tiger was delivered as a new car to Buckingham Palace. There are a lot of mysterious holes in the bodywork from mountings of unkown devices. interesting!!

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Curious

There is a very interesting and informative Tiger restoration thread on the STOC forum in the UK. The thread is called "brads Tiger" and here is a link to it.

http://sunbeamtiger.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1043&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This a fairly new link and already has 10 pages. Lots of progressive photos and annotation. Be sure to see his rotisserie and his unique method of parts cleaning. Cleans of dirt, paint, and rust!

Oh yes, records show that this Tiger was delivered as a new car to Buckingham Palace. There are a lot of mysterious holes in the bodywork from mountings of unkown devices. interesting!!

Gotta admit that I'm curious about the ownership history. BON got any info in it??

tiger260

Gold forum user
Others will probably be able to say with more accuracy and detail but it is alleged that it was used by HM Prince Charles for a while when it was new but I don't think there is any concrete evidence of this unfortunately.

IIRC, the car was burrnt out in the early 1970s and spent the next few decades passing through a few hands and sat in garages waiting to be restored.
A guy called Ned owned it for a while and started the car's restoration and then sold it to Brad who continues the work.

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Got Stupid

Tried to register and swap questions with the UK forums but their registration security is beyond my mental faculties . . . . . oh well, I'll wait for the pre-teen next door to come home from school and teach me.

tiger260

Gold forum user
Was it the confirmation code Randy?

If so, just keep refreshing the page until one you can read appears.
I'm not a fan of them but it isn't so bad now I have my new specs. :cool:

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
Hi it's Brad

Hi Gents,
just registered with your site.
Hope your enjoying the restoration thread on the UK site, the restoration is going a bit slow at the moment due to work commitments & restoring the old house, but it continues none the less.
Still picking up hints from both sites on what to do with the body once i eventually get her back to bare metal ready for welding, 'oneoffive' has been most helpful so far, some great tips & Mal in NZ has just been an inspiration.

cheers for now.
Brad
ps
the cars in France, i emigrated years ago, http://www.triumphclubdefrance.com/...mph-exceptionnelles/649-restauration-dune-gt6 this was my last project, got her running just in time for Le Mans classic 2013.

Warren

Gold forum user
Nice

Thought I had seen the rear end before in another post on the UK site. Wonderful to not have the car washing deemed OT

I have played with the idea of a whole car de rusting in a washing soda bath.

I guess the empty pool at my rental property really sets the mind at that. Maybe a tarp lined pit for larger items like my hard top ?

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
Thanks for the link to that. Fascinating read.

I find it hilarious that there is so much fear and trepidation regarding the thought of a toploader rebuild. I rebuilt mine with no special tools, besides a 3/4" copper pipe temporary countershaft and some hard-to-find assembly lube. Yet this owner does hammer and dolley work, and lead body filler, as a matter of course. That part scares me to death!

And, I want to know where to buy degrippant. Sounds like handy stuff.

Regards,
John.

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
Yet this owner does hammer and dolley work, and lead body filler, as a matter of course. That part scares me to death!

And, I want to know where to buy degrippant. Sounds like handy stuff.

Regards,
John.

I wouldn't say i'm a pro with the dollys, but the previous shotblasting to the body left it looking like a giant had been using it as a punch bag, so nothing to looose in giving it a try, plus its another reason to buy expensive tools from the van man :)
Lead loading is surprisingly easy & very satisfying when you get it right, the kit i got from Frost had everything needed. Just remember not to set fire to the wooden spactular ;) or leave the tub of tallow on the floor where the dog can eat it.

You might get Plus-Gas in the states which is the same as super degrippant which is a releasing fluid.

Brad

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
You might get Plus-Gas in the states which is the same as super degrippant which is a releasing fluid.

Yeah. It's called by several names in the US, such as "Liquid Wrench" or "PB Blaster". Good stuff. But degrippant sounds cooler.

VERY nice work, Brad. My Sunbeam needs no bodywork. But if it ever does, I'll fly you over for a consultation.

Regards,
John.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
English

US and UK, two nations separated by a common language?

Liquid Wrench® Penetrating Oil.

Super Degrippant which is a releasing fluid.

I get it now :)

Rick

Makes me tyred to use the brain so hard. I'll have a relaxing malt beverage.

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
Evening Gents,
it seems the UK site has more lurkers than helpers....
So i have read that the front spring hangers need beefing up, can anyone recommend a nice soulution for this?
cheers
Brad

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Hi Brad,

I have seen a bit of your restoration project from time to time on the STOC forum. Another massive undertaking, if I may say so, at least as extensive if not more so than several others we see going on via the forum here. BTW, the pictures are great.

I missed any recent mention of need for help with the spring mount reinforcement. Have a look at Tom Hall's solution shown at http://www.tigerengineering.net/TECHTIPS/Spring Mount Reinforcement.pdf

for help with the reinforcing issue.

Also, our fellow senior forum member and tiger restorer oneoffive (aka Randy), has posted a picture of his solution earlier on this forum. He put an angular gusset in the dogleg for strengthening via a bit of tri-angulation. I actually did both when I had mine fixed.

Gene

Vinreeb

Silver forum user
Brad,
im working on the same pieces of my car right now (actually the rear exhaust pass throughs)
And i strongly recomend you to look whats hiding between the tin layers.
look what i found down there:
15043381nt.jpg

15043383ja.jpg

I will try to rebuild a relatively big part of the rear X in 3mm steel and weld in an internal strenghtening... at least the ripped of original reinforcement patch will have to go and leave his place to something much stronger.

I have to say, I am one of those lurkers on your thread on .co.uk and here. I learned a lot from your restauration an pictures and really apreciate your sharing.

US and UK, two nations separated by a common language?
I have to say, I am a frenchman born in germany and owning an anglo-american Car:eek: but im having a steep learning curve in english car vocabulary lol

regards,
Thibaut

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
Thanks Gents,
that PDF link was excellent, i think i'll replicate that & maybe add it to my thread too.
Thiabult,
i see your pretty much a the same stage as myself, hope you don't find too many surprises.

cheers
Brad
ps

Feel free to say Hi next time your on the UK site, encouragement & comments are always welcome.

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
260 block is dead

Some of you may have seen on the UK site that my block is dead, i can get a replacement fresh RealSteel 302 for a reasonable price but are there any bits i need to swap over from the Tiger namely the timing cover?

Also if i went full in & got a 347 will the drive train take the power?

Cheers
Brad

Last edited:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Some of you may have seen on the UK site that my block is dead, i can get a replacement fresh RealSteel 302 for a reasonable price but are there any bits i need to swap over from the Tiger namely the timing cover?

Also if i went full in & got a 347 will the drive chain take the power?

Cheers
Brad

You can install the 260's timing chain cover on a 6 bolt block. I built a 347 with all the 260 bits attached. Take a look at my photo album of the build. Click on each picture for details - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1255824721370.2034409.1402147496&type=1&l=8f4d128016

The drive-train can take it. I recommend Dale A rear leaf springs and a torque arm. You will need to reinforce the front mount for the rear leaf springs as this needs to be done on even a 260 powered Tiger. All is detailed in my album.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Balance

Also if i went full in & got a 347 will the drive chain take the power?

Cheers
Brad

FYI: Be specific about the balance as some early 302 cranks will work with our 28 oz. flywheel, but the later versions require a 50 oz. Then there is the clutch slave bracket thing, etc. etc.