Raising ride height

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My car has dale's springs front and rear and the poly bushes. The car sits very low and is quite stiff.

I'm thinking of going to normal rubber bushes to take the harshness out of the front ( and get rid of the squeaking) but I'd also like to raise the rear a little. Without going to longer shackles which would worry me in terms of stress and lateral movement any suggestions on raising the rear ride height?

mwood

Gold forum user
Three possibilities come to mind:
1. fabricate/machine a set of "raising" blocks (think opposite of lowering blocks)
2. re-arc existing leaf springs
3. get new leaf springs.

...in ascending order of what I'd do :)

I'd have to think (or confer with an engineer who can figure this stuff out) about how much deflection you might get with a slightly longer shackle, particularly if it was heavier gauge steel. No real idea, to be honest. You still have the factory panhard bar?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
1. Was wondering how f you can have "raising blocks" on a tiger rear, wasn't sure if they would be able to mount correctly.

2/3 .thought about that... In some respects I would probably go option 3 instead, get softer more arched springs and not have to take car off the road until they arrived.

Yes original panhard rod is still in place ... Reinforced and not cracking.

mwood

Gold forum user
No, I don't have raising blocks. That would be my last choice (#3 would be my first, as it sounds like it would for you). I added to the list because they are a common way of doing what you want to do. Personally, I've never been a fan of lowering/raising blocks :)
Your thoughts on new springs are pretty much what I was thinking when I read your original post: a little more compliance in back and the raised height you want. Only thing, if you still have higher rate front springs and a normal factory alignment, you'll pick up a fair amount of push...all other things being equal.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm using longer rear shackles in the rear on one of my Tigers since long time. No Problem with lateral movement as long as they are made from thick enough steel...

whiskytangofoxtrot

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I just raised my car, I had some short heavy springs in the front, I fixed that with a 1 inch rubber spacer on top of the spring( that raised it 2 1/2 inches) after I fitted the new tires 225 50 50 I took a half a coil out and I think the ride height is perfect. For the rear I pulled out one mid leaf and fabricated a replacement out of new steel... No more scaraping the ground and it rides nice