Parts for Sale Question on Original 1965 Tiger 260 Engine

Midwest.Tiger

Bronze forum user
Original 1965 Tiger 260 Engine

I have an all original 1965 260 Sunbeam Tiger engine that was taken out of a car early-on. It needs a complete rebuild, but everything except the valve covers and starter are there, and it is all original. It would be nice for someone looking to restore a Tiger to all-original, or the individual OEM parts could be useful. It has the original water pump, timing cover, 2 barrel carb, carb spacer, manifold, distributor, heads, remote oil filter, pulley, exhaust manifolds, etc. Please let me know if you have interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The usefullness of the total engine or separate parts depends on the dates on the parts derived from the casting numbers. For example my MK1 was built in October of 1964. So, the matching numbers of the engine/parts need to be made before the build date by a reasonable amount. So if I was looking for parts or an entire engine to be correct for my car, the parts would have to fit this need. If someone needed or wanted correct parts for their car, this information about your engine/parts would be very important. For the right person, your parts could be very important. Of course, condition would also be important. Cliff

Warren

Gold forum user
Sounds like

The Tiger specific parts are worth way more than the block.
But you need to have a build date off front of the engine block and the casting date.
What everyone seems more interested in is a 289 5 bolt, ask me as I've had a 260 from a middle of production MK1A listed for sale for many months...
If I had the original or reasonable facsimile close build date motor I'd keep it with the car.

Last edited:

Midwest.Tiger

Bronze forum user
Thank you very much for your responses. I will go out in the garage and capture all of the numbers. Maybe we can figure out it's exact production period, and it will be useful to someone. I am almost positive that it has never been apart.

I purchased the engine from a dealer in Colorado Springs. It was the original engine from a Sunbeam Tiger that they sold and shipped from Colorado to the East Coast. Apparently, the new owner did not want to pay extra to ship the car's original take out engine along with his modified car, and left it behind.

I purchased the engine and shipped it to Ohio. The plan was to convert my 1965 Tiger back to all original, but I ended up selling my car beforehand.

Last edited:

Midwest.Tiger

Bronze forum user
Engine block color - Black
Engine casting number – C40E-6015E
Engine casting date – 4F25
Engine build date – 5A19C
Intake manifold casting number – C40E-9425
Intake manifold casting date – 4G8
Engine tag numbers – 260 65 5 (first row) 5-A 510 (second row)
Distributor – Z5TF 12127 C (first row) 5AA (second row)
Carb ID numbers – C4ZF F
Right head casting date – 4M23
Left head casting date – 4M28
Water pump C5AE-8505-C (first row) 7 (second row)

Warren

Gold forum user
Tiger engine study

rfraser @ bluefrog dot com

plus Brian our new registration guy has worked on engine numbers.
I'd guess that they could narrow down what car would be a good fit for the motor.

Note take out spaces and replace dot with . for a workable email address for Fraser.

Midwest.Tiger

Bronze forum user
rfraser @ bluefrog dot com

plus Brian our new registration guy has worked on engine numbers.
I'd guess that they could narrow down what car would be a good fit for the motor.

Note take out spaces and replace dot with . for a workable email address for Fraser.

According to Ron Fraser's study, this Sunbeam Tiger engine appears to be consistent with the F21KA engine group.