Bent rack and pinion

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I'm pretty sure it's the 'early' rack that you need but someone else may chime in on that...

The MGB arms are the ones... They are longer and slightly offset to the outboard side which makes them line up with the rack better and have 'slightly' better Ackerman... I've heard that it can be pretty 'tight' for tie rod end clearance with 13" wheels though...
I'm not really sure if the actual rack change helps the Ackerman or if the main 'gain' is just in the arms. That rack is a 'lot' quicker though! If you look at my pics, you can see that the mounting pads are different so you need about a 5/8" spacer on the front mount to keep it 'square' . You'll also notice that the bolt centers are slightly different so you can elongate one of the holes in the MGB arms to line it up.
I have a couple early racks ( spares for my wife's '66 Sprite ) and also a pair of MGB arms... if you're ever over on the 'island', I can give you the 'good guy' price for both :cool:

I'll include a couple of pics of the arm orientation 'in the car' although I'm using a Mazda power rack and 11 1/8" rotors... but you'll get the idea...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I will be going over to Port Alberni later in the summer and could divert anywhere on the Island to meet
PM sent