V.I.N. Plate M.I.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecialK

New forum user
Looking for a lead on authentic (as possible) reproduction of V.I.N. plate.

Long story (20 years)....my buddies MKII was scammed from him by a schiester, after a long drawn out legal battle the car was returned in pieces. It looks like everything is there except the jerk drilled out the rivets and took the V.I.N. plate.

Thanks in advance!
Special K

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
With Tiger forgery always out there I don't think its a good idea to be steering anybody towards a reproduction VIN plate.

The best path to authenticity would be having your buddy go to the local DMV and get a state assigned VIN plate. Either that or get the original back.

Having a reproduction VIN is just going to add to the suspicion that the car is a converted Alpine.

Just my 2 cents.....

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not So Sure

I am not so sure that an obvious replacement VIN plate is going to raise any more suspicion than a state replacement VIN number. Were I in your friend's shoes, when the car is all together, I would get it TAC'ed to have documentation that the tub started out as a Tiger. I would make sure that I still have the pink slip with the original VIN number on it - a bill of sale only would raise suspicions that the car also might be "hot". Also, I would make sure that the rear axle housing number, the transmission number, and the engine numbers (on the valve cover) all match the Jensen ledgers for the VIN number car. And, to be safe, I would make sure that I documented all of this information and inform any potential buyers. But, as Doug said, it would be best to come up with the original VIN plate (but I expect your friend has already gone down this path and was unsuccessful).

Good luck to your friend.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Hmmmm

First time poster looking for a vin replica plate for a friend that has a MKII
that was returned to him in pieces....Now that doesn't sound suspicious
to you guys !!!! Why isn't his friend posting here.....

Moondoggie

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Special K,

Missing VIN is not a fun thing, but not beyond salvation. If he still has the paperwork that helps to establish the provenance , does the car still have its JAL tag?

As mentioned if you can supply some of the other numbers, box, diff and barrels that can further help establish the ID. However this is not to say that these wete not changed over time, often the case.

Getting the shell TAC'd is a good idea in general but more so in this case .

If you can post some of the above numbers people here might be able to help, your friend knows the VIN obviously, so it would be worth touching base with norm miller at the registry and let him help you out.

The other thing to consider is of the person has sold off or swapped the missing tag, if you can post it on the forum it might help locate it.

Alternatively if your friend is not comfortable with that you can pm a few people who are familiar with the known mkii cars and they could assist.

Good luck.

Warren

Gold forum user
Legal battle

K. Look at Bring a Trailer there's at least 2 TAC ed Tiger's on there with no original vin plate. One is below the radar the other is a orange respray black hard top and has a California State ID tag in the same number as it left Rootes with. That car has a very early TAC number and I suspect that it has it's matching rear end and axle and less important door lock numbers. Having the state DMV assign the actual number of the car would be the best possible fix. You say that the legal battle brought the car back so they are obviously already on your pal's side.

It's well known Tiger's don't have secondary hidden numbers. Many many other old cars have a reproduction plate but those cars also may have the hidden numbers. There is a MK2 story in this forum and well known in Canada that also had a lost tag but it had it's rear end and trans and was titled in Canada under the vin for the car. That car got a all clear on the registry as a result. No match and the car gets a registry * and put whatever number the state assigns.

You can get a reasonable copy tag on eBay UK but good luck making it look real with the odd ball way Jensen struck it.

Just recently a auction car sold with a repop tag I thought it'd get beat like a drum but it quietly sold in the 70s for a non MK2 .

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
again guys...first time poster....for a MKII.....do you really think this guy is for REAL. I don't think so prove me wrong

Moondoggie

SpecialK

New forum user
again guys...first time poster....for a MKII.....do you really think this guy is for REAL. I don't think so prove me wrong

Moondoggie

Thanks for the replies guys.
To answer a few of your questions.....
Yes, the JAL tag is still with the car. I will talk to my friend and see how he feels about releasing the numbers to me for all the drive train components.
He has the title to the car, registered in his name.
He know's his Tiger like the back of his hand and has told me repeatedly that it is indeed a MKII.
His health is not good and he is not very computer literate, this is why I am asking the question instead of him.
I did send him the info on the restoration services listed on this forum. He said he would try and reach out to them this week depending on his energy level.

I understand your suspicions, but I assure you I am just trying to get an old friend behind the wheel of his long lost Tiger while he can still enjoy it.

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I understand your suspicions, but I assure you I am just trying to get an old friend behind the wheel of his long lost Tiger while he can still enjoy it.

Where is the Tiger located? If its registered and titled than doesn't he already have what's needed to get it on the road?

SpecialK

New forum user
Where is the Tiger located? If its registered and titled than doesn't he already have what's needed to get it on the road?

It is registered to him but I doubt that it has current tabs as it has been in pieces for 20 years or so.

Like I said......his health is poor so he is unable to reassemble it himself , that is why it's not on the road. I am not in the area or I'd put it together for him. He may ship it over to one of the restoration services listed on this forum.

The missing VIN is not keeping the car from being road worthy, it is just a nice thing to have.

Warren

Gold forum user
Nice to have?

A California restorer who follows California law, would need to say mother may I to the California DMV , if they remove the tag. If it doesn't have one they could have some explaining to do if dropped in on by the feds. Get the title up to date and if your state offers non op do that. Several restorers have placed repop tags on cars but it's not a thing one advertises. If you desire good responses put up a copy of the vin number in question. The number of fonts on each section of the tag and the fact it's a silk screened tag and all repops have a ink or Letraset vinyl cling printing. It is not the kiss of death for the car. Publishing the vin and registering the car will make sure the nefarious type doesn't scab it "the missing tag" on to another car. Your IP address on the East coast and your West coast time selection is a little odd, please update your profile with a state.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
East Coast ??

So where's the toy? Any pictures ? We of the eastern seaboard have inquiring minds . . . . . . .:confused:

Warren

Gold forum user
Closed

Per request of OP Kevin. Thanks for the call and the update on the profile. Good luck getting the car sorted. If there is a morale to this story it'd be be careful who you trust to restore and put in control of your car. The words mechanic's lien and storage fees are bad to hear along with I'm not giving the car back.

Status
Not open for further replies.