Light housings - new sockets

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Here's my fix!

This is what I did to 'revive' my turn signal housings... using spares from an old wiring harness

First pic... typical 'old' housing :( :eek:
Second pic.. drilled hole for a press fit using old dash light housing
Third pic... back side ( a little silicone to seal it from the weather, not shown )
fourth pic... Done!

Some of the Lucas lamp holder sockets have a 'bonus' ground wire already attached ( the Ign. lamp is one ) which can be properly attached to the body instead of relying on the housing attachment screws :rolleyes:

tiger260

Gold forum user
That's a really clever idea!

I messed around for day sorting the original set up and the wiring on mine.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nice

Good solution , Jim. We've been using the cheap NAPA packet with lot's of black sealer/adhesive.

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Light bulbs

I JB welded in modern bulb sockets so I could use easily obtainable LED bulbs, I did have to solder a ground wire on the socket housings I used.
I now have the turn signals and running lights in the same bulb behind the orange lens (orange LED), and a daytime running lamp behind the white lens (super brite white LED). There's a stretch of road near my house where daytime headlights or DRL's are required, and they ticket you (as a big money maker) if you forget to turn them on. My homemade DRL's are insurance against that $250.00 ticket.
Bob K.
B9471705

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There's a stretch of road near my house where daytime headlights or DRL's are required, and they ticket you (as a big money maker) if you forget to turn them on. My homemade DRL's are insurance against that $250.00 ticket.
Bob K.
B9471705

Surely they can't enforce a fine on a car that predates the regulations??? They pin you for no reversing lights too? At least they were an option in period, day time lights ( moron lights) are only about 5 years old

Warren

Gold forum user
Headlights

It's true they can't make you put on seat belts if you're car is pre 67 and is not equipped, but the big sign says Headlights.

The 2 lane area is prone to head on collisions.

My LED's in white parking lamp probably are bright enough, but aren't headlights.

Funny was comparing with other owner how long can drive after generator failed early VW vs Tiger. Really funny how guy's want their 6 volt bulbs back and generators. Bias belted tires anyone

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More Funny

It's true they can't make you put on seat belts if you're car is pre 67 and is not equipped, but the big sign says Headlights.

The 2 lane area is prone to head on collisions.

My LED's in white parking lamp probably are bright enough, but aren't headlights.

Funny was comparing with other owner how long can drive after generator failed early VW vs Tiger. Really funny how guy's want their 6 volt bulbs back and generators. Bias belted tires anyone

Kinda comical: We have a long time client who won't upgrade (or rebuild) his aging generator and will run his habitual coffee & cruise route for 5 weeks before hooking up the trickle charger for a 1/2 day. Those last couple of restarts sometimes require a gentle sloping driveway . . . . . . :rolleyes:

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This thread motivated me to fix my front turn lamps. Question: What is the correct screw to attach the housing to the body? Mine has all mismatched hardware.
Mat