Rebuilding of gauges

Doug C

Gold forum user
Does anybody have a good recommendation where to send my "dash" gauges to be brought back to "like" new and original looking?

Thanks - Doug

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I used Palo Alto Speedometer and they did a concours job on mine.

http://paspeedo.com/

They are not CHEAP but you get what you pay for...

Moondoggie

I'd heard they did good work but got a quote from them recently to re-letter 2 - 4" ( tach and speedo ) gauge faces ( only ) that I would supply and their quote was US$300 ... EACH! :eek:

Glad there's a plan 'B' :rolleyes:

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Jim,

They really don't do piece work and they probably figured to strip the face and start from bare metal...What they are excellent at is making your rusty old gauge look like and operate like new. This is a high end shop...not a plan B shop for sure

Moondoggie

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Bill

I thought they could be my plan 'A' actually as I've not been able to get in touch with Paul 'B' ;). ... wasn't even for any of my gauges... just a favor for a friend

I was given their name ( Palo Alto )from a well known STOA member who had the same work done as I was requesting... he had said they weren't 'cheap ... or 'fast' :rolleyes: but neglected to give me a $ figure he paid. I was offering to send them 2 bead-blasted faces to have them re-lettered... they had to check to see if they had previous artwork 'on file' ( which they did ) and then gave me the quote of US$300 per and 8 weeks turnaround ! a bit 'rich' for me :(
For myself, I'm hoping my UK supplier will be able to supply me with all 'new' gauges ( from the original 'Smiths' drawings ) soon... not just 'like new' :cool:

Doug C

Gold forum user
Jim,

They really don't do piece work and they probably figured to strip the face and start from bare metal...What they are excellent at is making your rusty old gauge look like and operate like new. This is a high end shop...not a plan B shop for sure

Moondoggie

Thanks and I am NOT LOOKING for a sub standard shop. I want the gauges to look original and work.

I've heard of a shop in New Mexico and up in Seattle. I wonder if other can offer some guidance or comments about their experiences with restoring gauges.

I will add I want gauges that cannot be looked at and be recognized as being redo.

Thanks - Doug

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wasn't MoMa a go to place for dunveam gauges? I believe they might have split tovseperate companies .... Are they still going?

Warren

Gold forum user
Spellin

Dumveam, that is too funny .. Michael

Plan B our vendor Jim mentions is not just Paul Breuehan's re faced gauges. Jim say's he is contracting to have spot on replica gauges fabricated.

Just wanting the gauges to work is a low bar Doug :) Stock gauges do work but the accuracy hmmmmm.

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Gauges

I recently has Morris at West Valley Instruments in Reseda restore all my gauges, I was very pleased with the results.
Bob K.
B9471705

Doug C

Gold forum user
I recently has Morris at West Valley Instruments in Reseda restore all my gauges, I was very pleased with the results.
Bob K.
B9471705

Bob, thanks just got done looking at the Morris website - if it's half as good as it sounds (reads) I am impressed. Also it's only 30 mins from my home.

Doug C

Gold forum user
Gauge Restoration Shops:

Gauge Restoration Shops:

I have been given 3 sources of Gauge restoration shops and one possibility of NEW gauges from UK. Does anybody have a reason why I (or others) should not go to any of the below restorers?

MoMa - New Mexico
Seattle Speedometers - Seattle, WA
West Valley Instruments - Reseda, CA

Thanks - Doug

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Rick at SS at one time offered a volt meter that was made by Moma but quit because of the hassle's of doing business with the little old lady that runs the shop. I ordered a volt meter direct and must say I have had much better service having gone else where. No follow up and when you call to ask for an update you might as well be hitting your head on the wall. They ship when the damn well feel like it and only except cash...But they are cheap and if you are willing to live with cheap and don't have a schedule they are for you.

Moondoggie

Doug C

Gold forum user
Rick at SS at one time offered a volt meter that was made by Moma but quit because of the hassle's of doing business with the little old lady that runs the shop. I ordered a volt meter direct and must say I have had much better service having gone else where. No follow up and when you call to ask for an update you might as well be hitting your head on the wall. They ship when the damn well feel like it and only except cash...But they are cheap and if you are willing to live with cheap and don't have a schedule they are for you.

Moondoggie

Thanks and that's exactly what I was asking for - I'll heard this myself and "years" ago used them when they were in N. Hollywood. I will say that I talked to MoMa a couple of months ago and got the felling that the "Lady" running it has turned it over to her son; don't know it that's trues or not.

Growler

Gold forum user
Morris at West Valley instruments is the go to guy. He did the gauges on my MGTD in (approx) 1982 and they all still work great. More recently (3 yrs and last year) he rebuilt all the Tiger gauges and all my Daimler gauges with no issues. I had him paint a volt meter to look like the original amp meter as well. He also recently did my brothers 60's Alfa gauges wich required not only repairs but artwork too. He also has volt meters and regulators (got a solid state one for the tiger when the gas guage was acting up) as well as cables (he made a custom tach or (I forgot) speedo for the Daimler. He has been around forever, very knowledgeable and helpful.

Doug C

Gold forum user
Morris at West Valley instruments is the go to guy. He did the gauges on my MGTD in (approx) 1982 and they all still work great. More recently (3 yrs and last year) he rebuilt all the Tiger gauges and all my Daimler gauges with no issues. I had him paint a volt meter to look like the original amp meter as well. He also recently did my brothers 60's Alfa gauges wich required not only repairs but artwork too. He also has volt meters and regulators (got a solid state one for the tiger when the gas guage was acting up) as well as cables (he made a custom tach or (I forgot) speedo for the Daimler. He has been around forever, very knowledgeable and helpful.

Nice write up; hope that he's not your brother-in-law (just joking).

I really appreciate you taking the time to let me and others know of another possibility for gauge restoration. Cheers, Doug

Doug C

Gold forum user
I just wanted to share with you all (for what its worth) where I am taking my gauges. After many months of looking and asking questions I am using tghe below gauge restoration guy. Morris was originally a "partner" with MoMa (N.Hollywood, CA) and separated ways 25 years ago. When I visited his shop it was like a step in the past... shelves and shelves of parts wanting to be fixed and those already done. Lots and lots of British with German and American gauges sprinkled around.

I have posted his information below; oh by the way it will take about 2-3 months to get done.

877-818-9402 toll free
818-758-9500
westvalleyinstruments@gmail.com
www.westvalleyinstruments.com

Last edited: