NorCal: Hello #382000428

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'll be a new forum user and taking 'ownership' of a Cat that will always and forever be my Dad's.

Been reading through a number of posts and you seem to have a good group here, knowledgeable and often of similar backgrounds (Vietnam Huey pilot = Dad).

My father was very recently given an awful health prognosis.

His Tiger is only slightly better off, in that repairing cars (even these) is simple next to fixing many of our body's myriad ailments...

the Issue: The car has been owned since new and was always taken care of until (multiple excuse here) and has since been sitting. Outside. Under soft covers. For years (5~7 since last real drive I'd guess).

the Plea: I want to get it running...asap. Longer term, the car is going to definitely need more massive help. But the motor had been fairly recently refreshed prior to parking it (makes.no.sense). I'm looking for advice or suggestions for a NorCal shop to help get it started. Central Valley or SJ/Peninsula maybe best options due to proximity. My offices are a stone's throw from Sunbeam Specialties... haven't bugged them yet.

to Start: Figuring normal things for a long time parked car...
- Gas tank removal / purging / cleaning or replacement
- Fuel lines purging / or R/R
- Carb...
- Plugs + MM Oil inside cylinders
- Tires (new ones on, but simply must be flat spotted.argh.)
- Other? (Fluids, motor seals a concern?)

the Ugly: I know all about the water concern, this will now be one of 'those' cars. Granted, it's CA, so maybe it's less bad than elsewhere, but a quick peek under the cover revealed plenty of major issues. And usually once you start looking...

All the rubber bits and seals are toast, the guages need help or worse, the seatbelt buckle was rusting on the floor. And yet, it still smells like 'the same ol' tiger' inside. Perhaps it was always moldy... the paint is unique and personal, but is likely doomed.

So...

W/O delving too deeply, Dad's in no condition to deal with or care too much about this, much, much larger issues at hand. Us too. This is a s----y deal. And yet, he mentioned the Tiger in the hospital, so it WAS on his mind. So, we would like to get it going asap to show him the intent to restore and take care of it.

I appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, insight you may offer. We've no plans to rid ourselves of it...the family always had 'plans' for it. My suggestion, time to stop planning.

Interior pic for a taste.

Thanks for reading and any of your ideas,
Derek
aka DD (CA)

Last edited by a moderator:

George Simpson

Gold forum user
getting started

you say your a stones through from sunbeam specialties how lucky you are ss is possibly the best in the business for resourses good luck;)

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
Paul Reisentz of Reisentz Restorations could be a terrific resource for you.

I am not affiliated w/ Paul except as a very happy customer from years ago. Paul knows Tigers much better than most, and he did outstanding work on my car way back when.

Here's his contact info which I got off his website. I think it's current. And if so, he's closer than a "stone's throw" to SS. Good luck and best wishes to you and your family.

Paul Reisentz
765-C McGlincy Lane
Campbell, CA 95008
408-309-9624 (day)
408-246-1636 (eve/msg)
paul@reisentzrestorations.com

Last edited:

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Contact Bill Martin or Rick at SS and they should steer you in the right direction.

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Paul Reisentz of Reisentz Restorations could be a terrific resource for you.

I am not affiliated w/ Paul except as a very happy customer from years ago. Paul knows Tigers much better than most, and he did outstanding work on my car way back when.

Here's his contact info which I got off his website. I think it's current. And if so, he's closer than a "stone's throw" to SS. Good luck and best wishes to you and your family.

Paul Reisentz
765-C McGlincy Lane
Campbell, CA 95008
408-309-9624 (day)
408-246-1636 (eve/msg)
paul@reisentzrestorations.com

Paul has moved but his day phone number is still the same.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Welcome & get busy

I'll be a new forum user and taking 'ownership' of a Cat that will always and forever be my Dad's.
(Vietnam Huey pilot = Dad).
the Plea: I want to get it running...asap.
Thanks for reading and any of your ideas,
Derek
aka DD (CA)

The posted suggestions are more than enough to get you started (no pun) in the right direction. Feel free to ask Q's and add a picture or 3 of the critter when the mood moves ya. Based on the east coast, we're very experienced in raising the wounded from the earth. Glad to help, randy (RVN Casualty Branch 66-67) . . . . .

Warren

Gold forum user
wish

You were closer just getting a car up and running can be the most fun .
All the nasty stuff like Rust and removing old stinky carpet can be no fun .

A really good first step would be just to pick up the carpet put something underneath like a sliver of 2 by 4 ventilate and air out the car .
Boat guys often use a drop light with 100 watt bulb to help dry the air . Get it dry asap ,
Whats that Neil Young song rust never sleeps?

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dirty kitty

Plastic media followed by (light) mineral = sandy car. Epoxy sealer primer (PPG) going on next. Plan to tow to body / paint on Sat - ish. So, moving along...

Live / learn:
All the best communication will not make up for an individual failing to physically mark off GO / NO GO areas. Had intended not to touch rear bench / shelf and leave original insulation, maybe even carpet on there. But, if erring I'd rather they went 'too far' v. 'not far enough.' Probably should have pulled the trans tunnel pads too and just had them done. Sure they're not rusty, so maybe I'll still do that and have it all painted at same time (duh).

Surprises:
Couple spots with very light pitting in lower rear wheel well to running board corner on one side. The side that had been most 'dry' too. Odd.

Also, a question about a rear quarter panel / wing ripple. I could sense the tailight area tooks a little bump at some point. But, it was possible this was even pre-paint at the factory. But, the ripple is harder to figure. Mom doesn't remember Ti ever being hit / injured.

All in all, looks like a clean car. "Very" rusty drivers side floorboard had no pits through or thin areas. Just surface stuff now gone.

Exciting to be at the very bottom of the hill and start to work way back.

Primer...body...paint...and then ask y'all how to put everything back together.

Amazing to think just over a year ago we were just going to 'get it running...' Well, plans change...

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lookin' Good

More than a bit jealous here; so much better lookin' metal than we usually see here in the rust-while-U-wait climate. Keep at it, rw

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
"Dry" Rain v. Wet Rain Rust

Never quite understood why cars left in elements out here still fare so well...but I always (always) forget about the other 300+ days that it doesn't rain. Continuous RH% is a killer. That and salt I suppose...

Not meaning to rub it in...I promise...but

Um, rust pitting shown here. Looks like a lot less work than some others on here have to deal with... yes, 'lucky.' Unlucky he didn't just park it in the $#%# garage though.

thanks for the boost Randy...

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Did you go see the car today? I wish I would have known since I have your clips I took off for you. Car looks good.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
First "big" install

Well, for those of you that have completed this, not a big deal maybe. But, I spent a lot (a lot) of energy in prepping for the "one shot / irreversible" dash pad installation. Thinking about writing my experience, just because I changed it up a lil' from some other tech tips I'd read.

Also got the windscreen temporarily installed as well. Need some fiddling with seals and then lock it down. And need to finish some parts. But, basically a big hurdle cleared. Looks fairly well aligned.

Outfitted trunk, cleaned up rear lighting (housings anyway).

Beginning to look like a car again.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Derek--the car is looking beautiful--great job so far. Do you think it will be done this coming summer? Would love to see it at Tigers United in June in Tahoe........ :)

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
updates...

are being added to the website. I've been woefully inattentive there, and less inattentive with the car...

Just started posting some OLD info, that does not related directly to the current status of the car.

Some may find it interesting and its still a great way for me to document and maintain my records, in case something happens (ya never know...).

And, put up a fantastic race program from late 1964 at the local racetrack (Vaca Valley), a couple very interesting Tiger related references and advertisements.

Still more coming...

Oh, and, yeah... the cars coming along very very nicely, thanks to Bill Martin. More to share on that soon too...

Bruce: As you know, I made it to TU for a day, but the car certainly did not, lol. Funny how more than a year flies by since the last update here.

Ti Historical record...
http://www.lifeofti.com/ti-history.html