Driveshaft Clearance

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
All,

Just put in driveline from engine to driveshaft. The differential is towards the driver's side of the car. Does the driveshaft go down the center of the tunnel or is it a lot closer 3/4 inch vice 1 3/4 on the passenger side?

Thanks

tiger260

Gold forum user
Rest easy. It doesn't go down the middle.
That's what that great big dent is in the transmission tunnel. Jensen Engineering.

packardv8

Bronze forum user
While you are under there, might as well verify the rear axle position side to side is equal. There's a bit of slack in the brackets and bolts and it can be off a bit.

String the front wheels to rear bumper and measure the rear tire clearance. If it's off, loosen the U-bolts and move to even up. On one Tiger, I had to slightly grind the bolt hole in one bracket to get enough lateral movement.

jack vines

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More adjustments

Thanks for the reassurance.:)

You can also play with those slotted holes in the rear tranny mount if you get torque slap from the U-joint. The panhard bar has limited value on rear centering, but may help a bit.

Twin Turbo Tiger

Gold forum user
Yea I could never understand how out of the center of the tunnel the drive shaft was.
When I put my Chrysler 8/34 rear end in I centered it up because I now run a Chevrolet powergluide drive shaft that is a whole lot bigger then the stock but its in center :)

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The differential is towards the driver's side of the car.

It is offset to the driver's side of the Tiger if you happen to have a right hand drive car. For the rest of us it's offset to the passenger side.

I understand Rootes chose to save some money by not manufacturing and stocking two different sized axles. By using only one axle common to both right and left sides, the offset was the result.

bt
at the beach

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So you are saying that for a US left hand drive car that the differential is closer to the passenger side of the tunnel? And then the driveshaft should also be closer to the passenger side.

If mine is closer to the driver side of the tunnel than my whole rear end may have shifted towards the drivers side. I will have to measure drum backs to see if they are equal on both sides of the body.

Regards,

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Brain Freeze

It was below freezing in the garage yesterday. My brain translated driver/passenger side orientation under car.

Great pictures and yes mine follows the same as the pictures.

Wish mine was as nice as those pictures but my plan is to get it on the road first and then attempt a resto later.

Better on the road than another 20 in the garage, besides don't have the budget for it right now.

Thanks to this wonderful forum for all the help it gives to the newer Tiger generation

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Rest easy. It doesn't go down the middle.
That's what that great big dent is in the transmission tunnel. Jensen Engineering.

What I don't understand is why the Jensen 'dent' is there at all... :confused: it's near the front of the driveshaft where both the trans and driveshaft are basically in the center of the tunnel ;)
The clearance issue is at the back! I have a non stock 2 1/2" driveshaft and have almost NO clearance on the right side rear

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jim

When I first saw the pics of how the Tiger's driveshaft as not centered due to the same size axles I thought wow, I'll bet they didn't measure correctly and just went with it. Others mentioned it was to save stocking 2 parts for each axles length, but that sounds odd.

The 2.5" driveshaft looks tight, I'm hoping to get in a 3" with 1350 U-Joints and looks like I may be into some more metal work. I am having the axles cut to center the pinion in the car but I have been told that the larger u-joint on the trans side is not going to fit and other potential issues.

Very cool molding work!

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Another consideration on centering the drive shaft is that Dan Walters cleverly took advantage of the stock space on the driver's (left) side to mount his torque arm. Centering the diff and shaft makes designing and fitting a torque arm tougher.

bt
at the beach

Tiger347

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Sandy, Here's a 3 in. driveshaft with 1350 U-joints . Only minor bumping at the front , little more at the rear.