New guy here

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
Picked up a 66 tiger last week. This is my first. Had been sitting in a garage for 25 years. PO had gone through the drivetrain and chassis back in the 80s then other priorities got in the way. So, here we go! Plan is to restore completely. My first job was to go through the fuel system so, took out the tanks and tubes (not too bad, needs a good clean up) and found the fuel sending unit frozen and very rusty. Of course, there are no sending units available. Let the challenge begin!
I've been reading posts here for a couple of months now and I'm looking forward to sharing my experience going forward and hopefully leaning on you all for insight and ideas.
Cheers,
Jim

Mlerne

Silver forum user
Welcome! I'm a relative newbie, too. You'll find smart, knowledgeable folks here, many of whom are willing to give you ample time and solid advice. Keep us posted on your progress. Pics are always welcome. Michael

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
mothballed tiger

Hi Jim, welcome, and like Michael mentioned we all look forward to seeing pictures.

Where are you located?

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. Bob, I'm located on the CA central coast.
Here is a pic of the car now. I've got my work cut out for me. Did I really just do this? Still crazy after all those beers I guess.

Doug C

Gold forum user
Here is a pic of the car now. I've got my work cut out for me. Did I really just do this? Still crazy after all those beers I guess.

Nice backyard - best of luck

Warren

Gold forum user
We know

That car, pic was shot at the body shop in Lompoc body shop Be nice to know what Chris sold car for. Is it titled under the JAL number?

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
new tiger

Hi Jim, I just bought this one a couple of weeks ago, it had also been sitting since the mid 80's.

I guess burgundy was in fashion at the time.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Jim, I just bought this one a couple of weeks ago, it had also been sitting since the mid 80's.

Bob... Lots of LAT on that one..wheels , guard vents and bonnet.... You'll have to start a thread too... Late spec plate lights too

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
car

Jim's car and this one are doppelgangers.

I noticed on Jim's car that there's a CAT sticker on the hardtop so a previous owner must have been a member.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Jim--welcome. I think this is the car I was going to see awhile back, could never coordinate a good time with the seller. I visit Santa Maria often, are you near there?

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
Who knows

I remember burgundy being a big deal in the 70s. I'll have to post a pic of the bright green house carpet in mine! The things we did in the 60s and 70s. Best of luck with your project. Like those wheels!

Warren, I'll only say that Chris and I found a middle ground.

And, nope, not my backyard. She'll be inside soon.

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
Doppelgängers indeed. Mine was TAC'd by PO.
What color do you have in mind for miss burgundy?

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
cars

Hi Jim, the car was originally code 100 mediterranean blue and I'm going to go back to that.

What is the original color of your car? I'd guess one of the whites since you have the white hardtop.

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
Bob, you're right it was originally white. My plan is to make it original as possible but, white? Funny thing, all my new cars have been white for years but, looking at tigers, I just can't see white for this car. I'm thinking of a Midnight blue or maybe british green. To me the darker colors make these cars really pop. Also, I'm going to replace the side trim which I also think looks better. What do you all think?

PITT40

Gold forum user
I'm on Tiger #3. First was in 80's while in HS. Second was 10 years ago and had been hit and caught on fire. I did the metal repair and sold before ever driving.

My current one I bought last Halloween and has been in a garage since 1971. So I know exactly what you are going through except I have the luxury of being mostly unmolested. Enjoy!!!

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I have had 6 Tigers and have tried all sorts of colors.....
Porsche Raspberry ( this was the 80's)
white
red
Med blue.
yellow
black

I have had 6 Alpines and they have been mainly red and green.

White exterior with a red interior looks great.......

Bosspwrd

Silver forum user

Must be nice to "stumble across" these lying around . LOL !

Been thinking of acquiring another Tiger , but of more stubble stock configuration with a few LAT hop-ups . Looked under every rock , back alley , old shed , etc.......... Nothing , darn it .

Bosspwrd-

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I found one last summer by going down the wrong road--the guy has had it for 30 years, going to restore it one day he says. I'll keep bugging him......
So don't give up on your search. :)