Bent rack and pinion

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Will the rack and pinion shafts from a Sunbeam Talbot fit the Tiger rack
Ratio is 2.5 and readily available in the UK. I think this was sold in the US as the Plymouth Cricket so maybe I am just living a dream that it will fit being "sumbeam"
Chrysler PN for the complete rack assembly is 71266734 but I do not not know the PN for the internal rack and pinion shafts

Any other choices for a rack and pinion as mine is bent. It looks like I could straighten the housing but the rack shaft will be a lot more difficult

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
You could always convert over to the MG rack. I had a front crossmember I sold last year that had that set up, looked nice and the fitment was very close.

Warren

Gold forum user
Good question

Warren, Just how long does it take to dance 5 minuets?
what would be a better one would be how the heck can you get spel chek to wurk inside V bulletin

By the way it is really hard to fix but I could go in and edit every quote.
Remember you get what you pay for with volunteer labor!:p

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Possibly Correctable

Ratio is 2.5 and readily available in the UK. I think this was sold in the US as the Plymouth Cricket so maybe I am just living a dream that it will fit being "sumbeam"
Chrysler PN for the complete rack assembly is 71266734 but I do not not know the PN for the internal rack and pinion shafts

Any other choices for a rack and pinion as mine is bent. It looks like I could straighten the housing but the rack shaft will be a lot more difficult

If it's just bent with nothing cracked or broken, we might be able to rescue it for you. Send a photo or PM with your direct contact info.

tigerracer

Silver forum user

Where are you located? Are you looking for a rhd or lfd rack?

Dale

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I am in Canada so LHD

The Spridget rack is a viable alternative but the guy in the UK is taking the piss on the price for the brackets.
Dale any chance of making them again?

steven

Gold forum user
I am in Canada so LHD

The Spridget rack is a viable alternative but the guy in the UK is taking the piss on the price for the brackets.

I have a spare set of brackets unused. Also have RHD midget rack. Changed to a MX5/Miata rack. I am in Australia so there will be shipping costs

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes Jim, those too, but they are ready to get hold if, the adjustable ends are a custom part that would be hard to source if not with the kit... The steering arms and tie rods are at least off the self items

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Yes Jim, those too, but they are ready to get hold if, the adjustable ends are a custom part that would be hard to source if not with the kit... The steering arms and tie rods are at least off the self items

Those adjustable links aren't hard to make if you have access to a machinist...or have a lathe... I made some for my Mazda power rack ;)

Hoghead... I'm in western Canada and have a couple of the correct Midget racks if you decide to go that route...

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I am in Vancouver Canada and need the entire kit either with or without LHD rack. The Spridget rack and steering arms should be easy enough to source, it is the other bespoke bits that is really needed

tigerracer

Silver forum user
I am in Canada so LHD

Sorry, not on the to do list. Not sure what the guy in England is charging, but if I did make them the price would be double what I use to sell the kits for. Mainly to cover the cost of a bunch of machined aluminum sitting on the shelf.

Again Sorry,
Dale

steven

Gold forum user
I have sent the entire kit from Dale and a new bellows kit so that will fix the problem with a LHD midget rack and a pair of alpine tie rod ends.

Problem solved

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I am unclear if different steering arms are needed for the Midget rack conversion. The arms connected to the uprights, not the bespoke kit arms coming out of the rack.

If new arms are needed, are they MG Midget or MGB

I recall reading somewhere that a slightly longer arm was also available?

Moss has 2 different MG Midget racks - early 1275cc and late 1275 & 1500 cc. I presume that we need the late version?