Shims in Front Cross Member?

Ohio Tiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Hey guys, wondering if it's ok to consider a small shim (1/8 to 3/16) in the front cross member to get a tiny bit more clearance room. Do guys do this? Would it cause any problems? Thanks for your thoughts.

Bill in Ohio

dude234

Gold forum user
Front end castor will change, either positive or negative depending on if the x-member is tilted forward or backward.

Bosspwrd

Silver forum user
More wiggle room .........

Front end castor will change, either positive or negative depending on if the x-member is tilted forward or backward.

I believe "Ohio Tiger's " intention is to gain clearance . So if adding a 3/16" , or 1/4 shim of bar stock should not change anything , IF kept even front to back .

The positive to this is gaining more fan to rack room , etc..........

Bosspwrd -

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Flat Bearing

Hey guys, wondering if it's ok to consider a small shim (1/8 to 3/16) in the front cross member to get a tiny bit more clearance room. Do guys do this? Would it cause any problems? Thanks for your thoughts.

Bill in Ohio

Make sure to use flat bar stock (NOT WASHERS) spread out the full length & width of the aluminium wedge. 2- cents

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe I'm crazy, but if the idea is to gain clearance between the front of tire and the valence, isn't what we talking about reducing caster?

Reducing caster in a Tiger is not something I try to do. For drive-ability I seem to always be trying to maximize it.

bt
at the beach

Jay Laifman

New forum user
This is funny. Just reading the Mike Taylor book. There were comments attributed to one of the senior designers/engineers with racing experience (I forget who at this moment). He was saying that the bean counters wanted him to move the engine up and back an inch for clearance issues. He was aghast at the concept of moving any weight upwards in a sports car, and shut down the suggestion.