Minx spindles again

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I know there has been some discussion on using Hillman Minx spindles and I have read these.
I have just fitted some to my car to take advantage of the different steering arm mount to reduce bump steer which happens when changing to a different rack. This seems to have helped.
Usual problem though as when you help correct one thing you cause another problem. Now my front tyres are rubbing.
I have rolled the lip some with some success and could go more with the proper rolling tool.
I was wondering if this was a common problem when using these spindles and what others have done to stop it.
I am running 15" Superlite wheels with 195 / 50 series tyres.

Cheers Mal

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mal where are you getting the running? On the top of thecarch or leading edge of the front guard on lock? The late spidles drop an inch from standard height, so if you are running wider wheels and uprated lower springs (or sagged original ) there might be clearance issues. Do you still have the rubber spring insulators in?

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Michael, the springs arr original as fsr as I know
I used new insulators as I had cut down the last one to lower the car so I needed to correct that. Seems to be rubbing on the top of the tyre. I don't know the correct length of the springs or if these have sagged but the car sits level.

mwood

Gold forum user
I run the Minx spindles, shorter/stiffer springs and 205/50-15 tires with no issue. I'd think you'd be okay.

What is the offset of the Superlite wheel? What is your static camber value? When you say it is rubbing "on top of the tyre", do you mean the outer shoulder?

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I will have to measure the wheel offset and I don't know the static camber value. Yes I mean the outer edge of the tyre. I wish I had measured the length of the spring when I had them out. I do need to remove one again to measure the bump steer anyway. I could get custom springs made a bit stiffer and longer.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Boing !

I will have to measure the wheel offset and I don't know the static camber value. Yes I mean the outer edge of the tyre. I wish I had measured the length of the spring when I had them out. I do need to remove one again to measure the bump steer anyway. I could get custom springs made a bit stiffer and longer.

Generally, relaxed springs (stock) measure 11-1/2" to 12" . Compressed ride height can be 8" to 8-1/2" . BUT,the temper and size of the wire will/can vary a whole bunch with age being a significant factor. I've also noted that the rubber spacer compounds vary a lot from spongy to rock solid.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Randy
I just pulled a spring it is 303mm or 11.8 ". Wire size is 14mm or .55".
They have probably just gone a little soft. I think I will get some new ones made probably to 450lb spring rating. Hopefully they will hold the front up
1/2" to where I had it before with no rubbing.

mwood

Gold forum user
Hmmm...yes, holding up the front end higher with a stiffer/longer spring will solve for the tire rub, but maybe with some trade offs? Camber gain is already an issue with our cars. I don't know how the rear is set up on your car relative to the front, but there's also the possibility that the combo of a higher front RC with the added wheel rate will further increase push.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Wheel offset is 114mm. The rear springs are factory which were sent to a spring maker to be checked and re-set to standard specs. Never had any issue with wheel hop.

mwood

Gold forum user
I'm thinking 114mm is the backspace (about 4.5"), which gives an ET of 24 or 25 for a 6" wheel...which should be okay. Are the fronts 6"?

It may just be (as you've said) that the stock front spring with a coil cut, and with stock inner fender lips, is the problem and I'm looking at this wrong. Funny how different cars, different experience. I failed to mention, I also have cut the front spring insulators to further drop CG without losing travel...and no rubbing. But, I do run -1.5 camber which, with my springs, tips the wheel/tire in a fair amount, creating more clearance in compression.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wheel offset is 114mm. The rear springs are factory which were sent to a spring maker to be checked and re-set to standard specs. Never had any issue with wheel hop.

Mal,

When mark says push I think he's referring to understeer created by the interaction between the difference in stiffness between the front and rear as opposed to axle tramp.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I'm thinking 114mm is the backspace (about 4.5"), which gives an ET of 24 or 25 for a 6" wheel...which should be okay. Are the fronts 6"?

It may just be (as you've said) that the stock front spring with a coil cut, and with stock inner fender lips, is the problem and I'm looking at this wrong. Funny how different cars, different experience. I failed to mention, I also have cut the front spring insulators to further drop CG without losing travel...and no rubbing. But, I do run -1.5 camber which, with my springs, tips the wheel/tire in a fair amount, creating more clearance in compression.

Fronts are 6" rims, measure 185mm outer edge to outer edge so if you take off 30mm to get to the bead width that's 150 or 6". I had cut insulators but thought that would lower too much so replaced them with new.
I think some new stiffer springs and a wheel alignment will be the way to go.
Car does feel a little soft in the front cornering anyway.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Mal,

When mark says push I think he's referring to understeer created by the interaction between the difference in stiffness between the front and rear as opposed to axle tramp.

Sorry Michael, my bad. I should not have said anything about axle tramp as it was not relevant to the topic.
Cheers

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I dropped the X member out today to find the alloy spacers with the thick end to the rear of the beam. They are supposed to be to the other way around I think.
Contacted the spring maker and he has replyed with this

We have no spec or information on this model vehicle sorry, so we would more than likely have to custom build coils for you. If we are to custom build coils for you we would need a spring loaded height(how long the spring is with the full weight of the vehicle on it in its fitted position) and also if a ride height change is required then a spring to wheel ratio(how much movement at the coil to achieve the required movement at the wheel).

I have sent him this and can supply a spring. Hopefully that's enough.

PITT40

Gold forum user
I have the prefect fix. I bought and ran QA1 double adjustable coilovers with stock spindles from June to Sept. They worked great. I had to use a 6" spring because the 8" made it too high in front. I also bought a set of Minx spindles and was going to use 8" springs but now I am going to a custom front end.

I will be selling them soon, I just haven't removed them to take pics yet.