tires....

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
No experience with the Vredsteins and what is available on the internetz in terms of reviews is mixed. If you don't plan on autocross or other use that might make you want more grip, I'd maybe give them a shot, though. Real street tires in that size are unicorns.

I have quite a bit of experience with Toyo's. The RA1 in a 205 section width, square (same size f/r), is without doubt what I would have on my car if I still ran 13's...but, I do autocross and want the grip. The R888 doesn't feel as good, gives no real advantage in grip and wears much worse. Interesting data point, the Spec Miata class went from RA1's to R888's then back to RA1's. Toyo initially was planning to phase out the RA1, with the introduction of the R888, but ended up having to continue production due to demand. Not to say the R888 is a "bad" tire, just sharing my experience with both. (Also should mention the RA1 is a better rain tire)

I'm not sure which Federals you're looking at, but the manufacturer does have some good tires in their line up. I was given a set of 205/50-15 RS595 Federals to try on my car and have been pleased with them. Not as much outright grip as the Toyo R1R they replaced, but very close.

The RA1 is the only 13" R-comp tire I'd run on the street, personally, now that Kumho no longer makes the Victoracer. Hoosiers are basically radial slicks and not safe in the rain...they sure do have a ton of grip, though :)

Thanks for the good info (Again!). As I said, I was all excited to buy a set of the new 15" LAT wheels for better tire choices, until I saw them. They are just not what I expected, the outside depth is so much less & the holes look like I could pass my hand through. Even though I have requested a couple of times on FB for anyone that has these new wheels mounted on a car, still no one has posted a picture. So after 40+ years with the originals on my car, I guess I will be just keeping the 13's. I tried finding the Federals without any luck. The Toyos are great I am sure but the shallow tread depth before I have to have the rims / tires trued scares me on what the tread depth will be then. Honestly, every time a tire changing machine starts breaking down one of my original rims, I just cringe with fear, that they are going to break one, so I'd like to put a set of tires on the car that will last at least six years of highway driving. Still on the fence... Thanks again.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
For me not many 15" wheels look good on our cars, and tyre profile ends up looking to low and not period. It's hard to get higher profile tyres on 15" wheels under stock guards. The 14's with a 195/60 suit the cars really well to my eye... And still some OK tyre selection are available

Last edited by a moderator:

mwood

Gold forum user
ToyTrainGuy, sorry if I repeated stuff I'd already shared. :)

I agree with Michael that the 14" diameter is a great size for the Tiger's proportions. But, I'm not sure that the tire situation is all that great and see no way it is going to be getting better. I read that the Dunlop ZII SS (which would be an awesome tire for our cars) was available in a 195/60-14, but I only see them in 185/60-14, which is going to result in a very narrow sidewall...which is the "aesthetic" piece that I think all of us agree is not right on a Tiger! Other than that option, what else is out there these days? I gave up looking and threw in the towel, running 15's.

Tough call. TTGuy, maybe you should get the Vredsteins, run them and then share your review...be the guinea pig, in other words :D

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Vredesteins

TTGuy

IMHO Vredesteins are a reputable tire which have been around as far back as the 70s from what I remember.

I ran 205/60/13 Vredesteins on my Cosmic wheels for 2 years (2010-12.) Performance-wise they were fine and I did not have any problems. I know that sounds less than enthusiastic, but my experience was limited to street use...and other than jumping on it and throwing the car into a turn once in a while, use was limited to highway and around town in nice weather.

As for the look, the outer edge on the 205s extends beyond the edge of the wheel well in front. Personally, I did not care for that. The 60 perspective tire also does not fill up the wheel well as much as I would like.

Three years ago I switched to LAT-70 13" wheels and got a set of the last Kumhos 185/70/13. The narrower/taller look suits my eye better.

The biggest drawback...at $185 each (5 years ago) the Vredesteins are a bit pricey.

Hope it helps.

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks to all for the replies.

Mwood, yes I guess you are right that I might just have to try those Vredestein tires & give a report.

MKing, I am not sure if a lot of the tire selection you have where you live is even available here in the U.S.

As for the tire size, I used to run 185 /70 tires, but now I am on my third set of 205 / 60 tires over the last nearly 20 years, & sure they stick out a bit, but we all know that the front track is wider than the rear on our cars. I had trimmed my valence in the early 1970's for taller tires, then several years later I found the MK-2 wheel arches & they had already been trimmed, not evenly from side to side as you can see. Still, as odd as it looks with uneven trim & the tires sticking out, I am still sold on the 205 / 60 size. I appreciate your comment that they were OK for the street. Thanks.

Bugman

Bronze forum user
13" Vredsteins

I installed a set of 13" Vredsteins on a set of Bill Martin's wheels in 2015. I bought them direct from Coker. They replaced a set of cheap (and rather noisy) Kumhos. I had hoped to write a detailed report on them for CAT but gearbox issues have precluded this so far. So I have only done a quick 50 mile round trip on them. Whilst certainly better than the Kumhos in all respects, and I think they also look great, I cannot yet make a conclusion about their performance. More testing and tire pressure adjustments would be required. Anyway, see enclosed photo. Bugman

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Are they repros of the optional lat wheels that didn't make production? Sane design as bill Martin's 17"?

The 13's you have thete have an unusually deep inner rim profile, even compared to bills, are these split rim construction? A cnc milled centre attached to an alloy outer rim?

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Michael,

Yes these are 13" wheels made off the tooling for the 16 " wheels on my car, we have not made 17" wheels so far. The spinners are the last generation of the LAT option done in Stainless steel. I personally like the 16" wheels on a tiger...fills the wheel well like a performance car should look....Grrrrrrr

Moondoggie

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I installed a set of 13" Vredsteins on a set of Bill Martin's wheels in 2015. I bought them direct from Coker. They replaced a set of cheap (and rather noisy) Kumhos. I had hoped to write a detailed report on them for CAT but gearbox issues have precluded this so far. So I have only done a quick 50 mile round trip on them. Whilst certainly better than the Kumhos in all respects, and I think they also look great, I cannot yet make a conclusion about their performance. More testing and tire pressure adjustments would be required. Anyway, see enclosed photo. Bugman

Bugman, Thanks for the reply & picture. Nice wheels & the tires look fine too. Hopefully you will get your Gearbox issues resolved & get that tire report for the rest of us. I can't believe that I am the only one that cares to hear how those tires work on a Tiger. Thanks!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
For those wanting good 14" sports tyres..

falken ZIEX ZE-912... Now harder to get or the replacement ze-914, but 914 has less profile and width options in the 14 than the 912

Warren

Gold forum user
Blockley Tyres

http://www.blockleytyre.com/page2.htm#prices

Saw a set of 14" in similar pattern and sidewall nice smooth uncluttered side wall.

A tire installer told me that the poor man's fix is to sand down the sidewalls, or I commented back maybe let my sister in law park the car several times :eek:

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When I started this thread over three years ago, I was worried about my Sumitomos being too old, now it's really time to "get off the pot"! I see here that tirerack is selling these...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...=06VR3SC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Anyone out there have these on their cars? What are they like? I realize they are not as sticky as the Toyo-Proxes, but are they OK for a street Tiger that never gets autocrossed? Are they OK in the rain too?

thanks...

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
TTGuy

Yes...I used these tires a few years back when I was running with wider Cosmic wheels. They looked and performed well. It also looks as if Tire Rack has a better price. They were much pricier a few years back. See photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 200

Warren

Gold forum user
I recall

Comments I heard or read was "Noisy ..." Can't remember other's but the sidewalls are less busy with raised printing etc. then other Kuhmos and most other's.
That link will change and 60 bucks off the Coker price of 200 or so each is clearly an improvement at 143.00 bucks each.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What Noise?

If these tires are "noisy," I never heard it over the beautiful sound of my Tiger's exhaust.

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
TTGuy

Yes...I used these tires a few years back when I was running with wider Cosmic wheels. They looked and performed well. It also looks as if Tire Rack has a better price. They were much pricier a few years back. See photo.

Thanks for the Picture, they look fine & glad to hear they were OK...

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I contacted Coker tire directly even though TireRack & Summit sell the Vedrestein, figuring they might be the "freshest" from them. Summit was at $187 each, TireRack at $145 each, but Coker was at $160 each until I asked for a "Veteran's Discount", so they dropped the price to $142. With a 5-year warranty (@ $10 per tire), plus shipping, it came to right under $700. Not cheap, but a decent street tire & will give me some peace of mind.

After I put 500 miles on these, I will be taking them to a local shop that will "True" the tire & rim, then high speed balance them on the car. My old LAT's are about as round as an egg & when I had this done before on current tires, it made the car run as smooth as a modern car with round wheels....

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I contacted Coker tire directly even though TireRack & Summit sell the Vedrestein, figuring they might be the "freshest" from them. Summit was at $187 each, TireRack at $145 each, but Coker was at $160 each until I asked for a "Veteran's Discount", so they dropped the price to $142. With a 5-year warranty (@ $10 per tire), plus shipping, it came to right under $700. Not cheap, but a decent street tire & will give me some peace of mind.

After I put 500 miles on these, I will be taking them to a local shop that will "True" the tire & rim, then high speed balance them on the car. My old LAT's are about as round as an egg & when I had this done before on current tires, it made the car run as smooth as a modern car with round wheels....

I got the date code off the tires, the Cokers were made the week before last, talk about "Fresh"! Recently I had ordered a set of tires for my wife's Miata from TireRack. After the shop had them mounted, I realized I should have checked the date code. I was really disappointed to find that they were two years old! Not cool....

Warren

Gold forum user
Yokohama 13"s

Yokohama Advan HF Type D
I saw this listed on a Haggerty web article.
The article also said,
Yokohama’s announcement comes as Pirelli recently released its Collezione line of classic tires, suitable for high-end exotic sports cars from the 1950s–70s.

For now the Advan HF Type D is only being sold online in Japan, but Yokohama says eventually it plans to expand to other markets.

Last edited: