Servo problems - servo none return upside down

EvertonTiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Guys
I had a Lockheed brake booster fitted by local jaguar e type garage whom I've stopped using.
He changed the system out without even asking and when it got here never worked. Felt as if the servo was not working in anyway. No improvement on the old system.

Just changed out to dales suspension system which is great, brakes not really improved however.

Just noticed the metal one way valve which should be pointing to the servo is indeed pointing to the engine manifold.

So swapped it, but now brakes are on so hard I cannot move the car.

I've switched it back and again feels like no servo, but when vacuum is on, car is solid and so is the foot brake.

Any ideas?

Do I have to reset everything, if so what..

Sean

tigerracer

Silver forum user
Hi Sean,
Now that you have the one way check valve in the correct directions, it seems the booster is not releasing the vacuum. I have used the lockhead boosters, but didn't really study them. I would have to assume there is a t-valve in the booster, similar to the Girling unit and the t-valve is stuck. You should be able to hear the air release from the booster when you remove your foot from the brake pedal. I almost hate to state this on a public forum, but give the booster a couple of hits with a hammer, it might jar the valve loose. I see if I have a lockhead booser in the shop that I can take a look at.

Dale

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A simple Test

I agree with Dale: A simple test is to pump up the brake pedal WITHOUT starting the motor and hold it firmly down. Then start the motor and you should feel the brake pedal move slightly forward as vacuum is applied. Let off the pedal and check if the brakes are free. If the brakes are still stuck, loosen the brake line nut on the "out" of the servo and see if this releases the brakes as some fluid bleeds off. This test isolates the servo as the real problem. There is a tiny "ball" in the Lockheed's that can get stuck from sitting in storage for a long time. Use a hard rubber hammer so you don't scar it . Sometimes just jamming your foot darn really hard a few times will get things moving. . . . .

EvertonTiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
You have to be yanking my chain

Guys, will do it tomorrow but laughing that this is what the world of engineering has come to. A hammer.

Good advice. Ill try tomorrow.

Thanks. Sean

Warren

Gold forum user
Thor

I had one on my first Tiger. It survived a 14 year P.O. slumber but really wasn't much of a help. I'd say use Thor's hammer and get some good brakes to go on that nice front end:)

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ah yes, the old percussive adjustment...
We used to use this method on airplane hydraulic systems all the time and joke about the logbook sign off... "maletized right reverser accumulator in acordance with chapter 13 of the Boeing maintenance manual..."
In all seriousness, use a mallet and be gentle.
-Kevin

EvertonTiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Just got back and tried to sort brakes. I hit the unit, not to hard a few times. Then I started the engine, felt the brake peddle go forward but when released found brakes would not release. Hit the unit again, a few nice little hits. No joy.

Released some fluid from outlet and brakes released

Started again and locked up again

Any ideas?

Tweak

Silver forum user
CAT Member
No ideas, but between the front suspension and the brakes I think you have had more than your share of tough luck as of late. Hope you shake it soon.

EvertonTiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
If I did not have bad luck I'd have no luck atall.

Hey it is what it is, best car in the world but it's trying to take me on. Feel like Basel faulty in faulty towers wanting to beat the car with a branch!!!!

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's The Servo For Sure

Just got back and tried to sort brakes. I hit the unit, not to hard a few times. Then I started the engine, felt the brake peddle go forward but when released found brakes would not release. Hit the unit again, a few nice little hits. No joy.

Released some fluid from outlet and brakes released

Started again and locked up again

Any ideas?

You have isolated and properly found the servo to be misbehaving. Replace it with a new Lockheed. Trying to rebuild it will cost more in frustration than it's worth. My 2-cents

EvertonTiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Found the issue. Not only had the clown put the none return valve upside down when he installed the Lockheed system half the parts are missing. So, I need to find them.

They are the plastic release value brackets which I think he left off as he was struggling for clearance.

Can someone recommend where I can get parts, or alternatively, just buy total new unit and swap. I need item number so I can order in Europe.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Found the issue. Not only had the clown put the none return valve upside down when he installed the Lockheed system half the parts are missing. So, I need to find them.

They are the plastic release value brackets which I think he left off as he was struggling for clearance.

Can someone recommend where I can get parts, or alternatively, just buy total new unit and swap. I need item number so I can order in Europe.

Try these guys in UK: powertracksales@aol.com (Paul)
OR sunbeam.spares@yahoo.co.uk (Andrew & Malcom)
No affiliation etc etc Specify the size as 7" or 5"