Axle U-Bolt size?

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a great lowered setup, but it's just too low for the streets where I live. So I want to raise the car up to stock height for street use then put in the lowering stuff when I get serious about autocross.
I currently have spacers in between the rear axle and spring perch. I want to pull those out and will need shorter u-bolts. I have the LAT-5 traction masters - can anybody tell me what size u-bolts I need and perhaps a good source?

Any info appreciated!
Cheers, -Kevin

331Mark2

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Hi Kevin, You can buy the U-Bolts from almost any supplier of Automotive Leaf springs. National spring, in El Cajon, CA., made me up a set from a sample. They came with the correct long nuts and hard washers for about $45/set. They are 7/16-20 thread. They are also common to some standard Jeeps.
Regards, Dave

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rick at Sunbeam Specialties used to have piles of those u-bolts. Not sure if those will work with the traction bars though. Give him a ring and have him send you a set. If you need me to I can pick a set up for you and you can come to my house to get em'.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks guys,
I'll be up at SS some time this week and I'll see what Rick has. I got my lazy ass under the car and measured what I think I need - 2-1/2" wide, 6"ish long, and 7/16 diameter. Summit has something that's close so that may be plan B.
Thanks for the help! -Kevin

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks guys,
I'll be up at SS some time this week and I'll see what Rick has. I got my lazy ass under the car and measured what I think I need - 2-1/2" wide, 6"ish long, and 7/16 diameter. Summit has something that's close so that may be plan B.
Thanks for the help! -Kevin

Make sure you call him first because he keeps most the used parts at a different location.

Jeff F

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just so happens that I measured a stock one earlier this week.

A stock U-bolt is 3" from cl-cl, which would be 2-9/16 inside dimension with a 7/16 thread. The stock length is 5-1/2" from the inside of the radius (where it contacts the tube) to the end of the threads.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ok thanks. If I strike out at SS, I'll take an extra measurement.
Cheers, -Kevin