Woodhead shocks?

PITT40

Gold forum user
I never heard of Woodhead shocks. They must be original. My car only has 33K original miles and hasn't seen the road since 1970 or 71. Unless a dealer installed them as replacements.

They actually still may be usable. Much more tension on rebound than compression though. Is that normal for Tigers or should they be similar on both?

Warren

Gold forum user
Put em on

and pile in go to the mall and try some speed bumps. :cool: I am famous for if it ain't broke don't fix it but even I would opt for the ones CAT parts sells.

Moving team will take this to suspension very soon...;)

PITT40

Gold forum user
I'm not using them. Just never heard of the brand so I figured someone could verify that they were originals.

Erich

Gold forum user
. Much more tension on rebound than compression though. Is that normal for Tigers or should they be similar on both?

That is the way shocks should work. More damping on rebound than on compression.

This makes for a more comfortable and controlled ride.

The energy from a bump goes into compressing the spring. Then the energy stored in the spring is dissipated by the shock as it extends.

A stiff shock in compression takes the energy from a bump and tosses the car up in the air. I am exaggerating to make a point. Result is a harsh ride.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Originals ??

I'm not using them. Just never heard of the brand so I figured someone could verify that they were originals.

From way back in my foggy memory, Armstrongs were the original issue . . . .

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Woodhead made replacement parts for the rootes models. They were often used on period. As randy stated though the alpines and tigers used Armstrong from the factory Armstrong GT on the tigers.