front suspension

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wondering why my car sits higher in front then rear. I have 205/60-13 all around, tires all look to have the proper air pressure. Rear of car looks good from floor to fender lip around 25 inches. Front is 26 inches my be a touch more, and the gap from top of tire to fender lip is 5 inches. Car has not been run in a long time but I did put new spax shocks on way back when, can't recall if they were adjustable but if so not sure how there set. Front end has
been untouched for 30 years so don't know how long coil over is. One thing I did notice there is a 1 inch coil spacer installed, not a coil rubber but may act the same. Thanks Kevin

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As rick mentioned or.... Original leafs are prone to sagging, but perhaps fronts are replaced/ modified so accentuates the difference?

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
spacers

Thanks will start by removing spacers and see what that does for me

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
springs

Hi, I had new springs replaced in my car that gave it a " straight axle" look. I was told by the guy I bought them from that they would settle out. They never did. I hated that look. There are less thick rubber insulators you can use in the spring mounts. I'm not sure if they were mustang ll or a different application. Perhaps there is someone out there that can chime in.
Brian

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
coil springs

Hi, I had new springs replaced in my car that gave it a " straight axle" look. I was told by the guy I bought them from that they would settle out. They never did. I hated that look. There are less thick rubber insulators you can use in the spring mounts. I'm not sure if they were mustang ll or a different application. Perhaps there is someone out there that can chime in.
Brian

Brian the straight axle gasser look is great but not on on our cars, once I remove the spacer between the coil springs it should help, but then again my new tires I bought last year are smaller on the front which may negate my spacer removal. I should have gone all 205/60-13 but went with 185/60-13 in the front hoping to eliminate my valance issues when backing up.
I also have Shelby 13 inch mini lite wheels that have pretty tight clearances in the front and actually show some rubbing in the rear. Anyone one else running these wheels that have the same issues. Thanks Kevin

PITT40

Gold forum user
My car was bone stock and never modified and had no spacers or rubber of any kind on the front coils.

Warren

Gold forum user
Maybe

That's what those mice ate....Pitt, Mine sits a little high too, that's on the short shave list:)

chirodoc

Gold forum user
FRONT SPRINGS

KEVIN :
YOU ARE LOOKING AT 50 YEAR OLD SPINGS IF THEY ARE ORIGINALS. CHECK MIKE WOODS POST FROM LAST FEBURARY IN THE ARCHIVES. CAT PARTS USED TO HAVE 335# SPRINGS, AND DALE A HAS 450# . STOCK SPRINGS ARE DROOPY AND WEAK.

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
spacers

springspacetwistin%25255B1%25255D.jpg

These are what's between the coils just 1 on each side. Right now I have a 5 inch gap from top of tire to fender lip hard to believe springs will collapse
more then a inch which is the thickness of the spacer. These are designed to be installed with a 1/2 inch breaker bar not sure if they come out the same way.
The rear of car seems to be just about right but not sure of the condition of the leafs. I do have brand new 30 year old shocks on the car. Kevin

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Gone

springspacetwistin%25255B1%25255D.jpg

These are what's between the coils just 1 on each side. Right now I have a 5 inch gap from top of tire to fender lip hard to believe springs will collapse
more then a inch which is the thickness of the spacer. These are designed to be installed with a 1/2 inch breaker bar not sure if they come out the same way.
The rear of car seems to be just about right but not sure of the condition of the leafs. I do have brand new 30 year old shocks on the car. Kevin

If you intend to drive the car, get those dumb things out of the springs.

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
spacers

If you intend to drive the car, get those dumb things out of the springs.
Randy just pulled one off nice light aluminum, height didn't seem to change shock rebound seems to be the same. Still lots of work so not going to worry about height right now may be more of a tire issue.

dude234

Gold forum user
My car had the same spacers when I bought it. It seems the PO used them to prevent tire rubbing on the front valence when backing up and turning the wheel.

Warren

Gold forum user
J.C. Whitney

Page 79, or so... Same catalog has headers for 59.99 pretty pricy back in the day . :)

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
spacers

My car had the same spacers when I bought it. It seems the PO used them to prevent tire rubbing on the front valence when backing up and turning the wheel.

Dude they didn't help with my 205/60-13 tires but if they helped PO great
my car was wearing mustang 2 rims can't remember tire size. I did measure my clearance today car did lower 1/2 inch with spacers gone and front and rear of car hasn't sagged much sitting in garage last 30 years. Kevin

dude234

Gold forum user
Did/Does your car have fender flares on the rear fenders? I'm just trying to track down a Tiger that used to be in Traverse area.

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Flares

No flares on my car bought in 82/83 in Georgia. There is a Mk2 around that used to cruise with a Mk1A not sure if the 1A is still around or if it had flares It did have a 302 in it. There was also another Mk1 or 1A in town when I got my car looked at it once but can't remember much about it other then it was tore down somewhat for repairs. Anything else about the car I can talk to the guy with the Mk2 only a few miles away. Kevin