Valve Cover Decal (Which side?)

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Does the engine number decal go on the oil filler side (driver) and the Ford decal go on the pcv side (passenger) or vice versa?

Are they different btwn MKs, ie one way on MKIs and the oppoosite on MKIAs?

This one is for the MKI.

Just stamped decal and ready to put on.

Thxs,

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I haven't owned a MKI, but, I have a cross-over MKIa (503) and have owned a square-corner MKIa (1542). The earlier Tiger had it on the driver side (oil filler), while the later Tiger had it on the passenger side (pcv). I don't know how definitive that is, but, I would bet your MKI had it on the driver side...Kirk

Last edited:

Jeff F

Gold forum user
CAT Member
B9471573 has the "SUNBEAM LTD" sticker on the drivers/oil filler side. Let me know if you need any pictures of exactly where the are located.

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
Valve cover decal location

MK1 is on the left Mk2 on right for location on the 2 i have a picture of that one which is toward the front of the motor. The MK1 is at the rear on the left.-Al

Doug C

Gold forum user
MK1 is on the left Mk2 on right for location on the 2 i have a picture of that one which is toward the front of the motor. The MK1 is at the rear on the left.-Al

thanks - so my drivers side valve cover with a rear sticker is correct for my Mark 1

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ford decal on opposite valve cover

Now that we discussed the Sunbeam Limited decal, what about the location of the Ford decal on the opposite valve cover?

Is it on the fwd or aft portion of the cover? ie, Towards front of car or back?

As Duke said, it probably depends on the applicator.

thxs,

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What's left of my original Ford Decal on 503 has it on the opposite end of the valve cover with the pcv valve- in other words- it's on the front. Kirk

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I just had a look through several dozen cars' pics ... first thing I noticed was that there are a LOT of LAT aluminum valve covers out there! :cool:

From the 'chrome' covers I looked at, ALL cars below roughly 001000 in the MK1A's all the way back to B947's ( lowest car I have a pic of is in the B9470040's ) had the engine # plate on the driver's side back ( oil filler side ) and all the cars above roughly that MK1A # ( 001000 ) had the engine# plate on the passenger side front... right up to the last MKII built .
Being as we're dealing with Rootes/Jensen/Ford et al though, I'm sure someone out there has one that's different... lol :rolleyes:

Warren

Gold forum user
Agree with Jim

On the placement, its the first step on the slippery slope, "why of course it has the numbers matching valve cover," Nobody ever says that:)

If it wasn't so much to chrome them up I bet you'd see lots more of them out there in Tiger land. The alloy ones gotta weight 10 pounds

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
Had to go take pictures of the covers I have that came off of a MK1. I am one of those that went to the aluminum covers. Hope this helps. -Al

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
Had to go take pictures of the covers I have that came off of a MK1. I am one of those that went to the aluminum covers.
Here is the MK1 decal location.

Warren

Gold forum user
63 buck's

For a chrome part just about cheap enough to change every couple years as they are flash chromed .

But back to topic both Mk1a s had big stickers on drivers side little Ford on Passenger on my nice collection of parts and my new old pile:)

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Before or After Chrysler?

Warren, does your Mk1A have the Chrysler pentastar? I don't know, but would be surprised if Chrysler allowed there to be a Ford sticker on the valve covers of their car. After all, they changed the front fender medallion from "Powered by Ford" to "Sunbeam". But then, I guess it would have cost them some labor to peel the sticker installed at the factory off the valve covers in the UK.

Does anyone know if the Ford sticker was put on the valve covers for Mk IIs? I don't recall seeing one on my car's valve cover when I bought it in 1970.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Here's a couple of 'Ford' sticker pics... both well after the 'pentastar' was installed

First one is from my friend's 'unrestored' MK1A B3820025xx and the second pic is from a very early MKII that was on eBay back in 2011

Warren

Gold forum user
Stickers

Both the car were Pentastar cars.

Dave there is a Bay area find original paint unrestored MK2 that surfaced recently. From the looks of her she'll be a benchmark vehicle.