MkII Headlight Rims

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
MkII Headlight Rims

I've been trying to research these and below is what I think I've learned. Does anyone have corrections or additional information? Please chime in!

This style headlight rim were originally used on some early Rootes sedans in the late 50s to early 60s sedan, perhaps a Singer Gazelle. They were chromed and not perfectly round (like an MG's) but had a slight peak on the top. They did not have an eyebrow. They were cast out of pot metal (not stamped)

Years later, in 1967, Rootes pulled this casting off the shelf to use on the MKII Tiger & Series V Alpine. However these later applications were not chromed but painted body color. Lucas Replacements were delivered primered, not the earlier chrome versions.

All were clip on, not screw on

None were stamped. All were cast.

Vendors are selling the early chromed versions claiming they are MKll replacements. In order to use them properly on a MKll, the chrome has to be stripped prior to painting to body color.

Again if you have any corrections or additions (such as part numbers) please post.

thanks,

bt,
at the beach

Attachments

• headlight rim.JPG
    headlight rim.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 458

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Buck,

There were also differences in the peaked rims, some have a sharper edge on the eyebrow some have a more rounded edge, then they switched to a clip on peaked rim, its my understanding that they later went back to a screw in the rim.

Now.. to the MKII's.. yes several early rootes cars used the non peaked rims, and they were chrome, they also featured on many SI-II alpine competition cars (not LM cars) and rapiers.. now, i have seen clip on type rims, both chrome and painted, i have seen rootes primed rims with a screw and chrome with a screw.. IIRC the one in primer with a screw was the same part number as the one with chrome.. i'll have to check.. wonder if rootes went a non peaked clip on.. then switched back to having a screw?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
OK,

I had a look at the NOS non peaked rims i have:

painted rootes primer: FR1 555269 BS 1004A

chrome: FR1 555269 BS 1004A

so the same, the only difference is the one in primer has a symbol between the numbers and the BS part of the code. These are both the screw type, and have the original screw with a small felt like washer on the inside.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
these are the rims.. sorry about the pics.. taken on my 3 year old mobile!

Attachments

• DSC00372.jpg
    DSC00372.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 448
  • DSC00375.jpg
    DSC00375.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 427

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
MK II headlight rims

I have replacements for the MK II that we bought in 1967 after a minor nose bump. They are screw type. We also have some of the carbon fiber repro's that Rob Martel experimented with a few years ago. Also screw type and are a perfect copy if anyone wants the look. randy :cool::cool:

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Headlight Rims

OK,

I had a look at the NOS non peaked rims i have:

painted rootes primer: FR1 555269 BS 1004A

chrome: FR1 555269 BS 1004A

so the same, the only difference is the one in primer has a symbol between the numbers and the BS part of the code. These are both the screw type, and have the original screw with a small felt like washer on the inside.

I have a set of chromed slightly peaked rims with PN FR1 556269 BS 1004 A w/that symbol you were talking about. Which car are these from?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Robert,

Likely they are from a '59 Hillman husky, 58 singer gazelle as both these models used the non peaked chrome ring.

You could buy these rims from dealers in the day , they were a popular addition to SCCA racers on series alpines and also used in the UK on comp cars.