Differential Casing Stamp

Brigand

Silver forum user
I finally got round to crawling underneath my Tiger with a wire brush to try and find the number stamped on the diff casing. I did find it (eventually!) but it was very feint.

So my question is; what format did the differential stampings take? I think mine says BS and then 2575 or 2375. Would two letters followed by four numbers be correct, or should I look harder for more digits?

Thanks

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Check with the BON Guru

I finally got round to crawling underneath my Tiger with a wire brush to try and find the number stamped on the diff casing. I did find it (eventually!) but it was very feint.

So my question is; what format did the differential stampings take? I think mine says BS and then 2575 or 2375. Would two letters followed by four numbers be correct, or should I look harder for more digits?

Thanks

I would check with Norm first. Over the years, I've swapped any number of E-mails with Mr Miller concerning the feint rear stampings and trying to get it all correct. The latest was while working with the 000004 restoration and, even though the rear was out of the car and upside down in the sunlight, it was a tough read.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Looking at my BON the sequence seems to be :

A letter followed by the two digit year then a slash followed by a four digit serial number...so one might be A65/2125...I imagine the letter refers to the month...

Moondoggie

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Archeology

Just a random thought. You guys might try doing a "rubbing" like the archeologists do on the Discovery Channel. Piece of paper over the number and a soft "lead" pencil sweeping back and forth over the area. Might bring out the number.

Come to think about it more, maybe the archeology parallel is not that far off!:D

Gene

Warren

Gold forum user
white chalk

On a clean grease free numbers. Rub on and get out the reading glasses.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Brigand

I believe Moondoggie has it correct...Letter for the Month...2 digits for the year...and then digits for the sequence number.

See mine below E64 45...just in time to go into the car in early June 64.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
In an email with Norm today...I don't think he will mind......The last four digit
appears without the zero's on numbers less than 1000. So 0046 would appear as just 46 so E64/0045 is correct as E64/45 and the guy stamping the number was just lazy and left off the first two zero's..probably a union deal !!!

Moondoggie