Rear Leaf Spring Squeeeeeeks?

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As part of my recent restoration I installed a new set of Dale's leaf springs which I love and highly suggest anyone doing new rear leafs go for it with these. I have about two hundred miles on them now and they sqeek like mad, a little anoying and I can't figure out why. Has anyone experienced this problem with any leaf spring and if so any suggestions on a remedy? I have a feeling the problem is not with the spring but perhaps something I did or didn't do in the stallation process. Cheers, Don

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Old School

As part of my recent restoration I installed a new set of Dale's leaf springs which I love and highly suggest anyone doing new rear leafs go for it with these. I have about two hundred miles on them now and they sqeek like mad, a little anoying and I can't figure out why. Has anyone experienced this problem with any leaf spring and if so any suggestions on a remedy? I have a feeling the problem is not with the spring but perhaps something I did or didn't do in the stallation process. Cheers, Don

Something is moving somewhere? Normally, I assemble leafs with a generous line of grease in between the plys. Having said that, did you replace or insure an isolator donut between the front spring eye and the mount? Free up the rear shackles and move them to/fro to hear if they need a bit of lube . . . .OR, turn up the IPod.

wag123

Gold forum user
I have the same springs and my car does the same thing. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
No the donuts were spaced out upon installation and I was a bad boy and got lazy and didn't revisit the issue, I did not lube the bolts, why I have no clue. I replaced the locating pin with one that actually matched up with the rear diameter of the receiving end on the third member. In doing this I used the one out of the old springs, I had to put a brass bushing around it so that is was a tight fit. In retrospect I should have drilled out the receiving end which I can still do and of course I have the original pins. So now that I've confessed all the stupid things I did does this help you better identify what might be causing this. If it is just the way it goes I'm fine with that but it would be nice to have silent springs, and NO need for the IPOD the exhaust note already blows my ear drums out. Thanks for your contribution! Cheers, Don

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Mine too...and they have bad rust on them now. They need to be removed, dissembled, powder coated and then put back together again.

I temporarily fixed the squeaking with liberal amounts of WD-40.

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My Oregon car doesn't see rain so I'm not concerned about the rust, these are great springs, I'll try squirting some WD40 or similar lubrincant in between the shakles. Thanks for your feedback, it's always good to know that you're not the only one with a particular issue. Cheers, Don

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
WD40 will dissipate very quickly, so will require regular application. Might be worth applying a lithium grease.

Also what bushings are you guys running? I notice the polly bushes in the front squeak.. almost prepared to go back to rubber ones.

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks guys the WD40 did wonders, the springs are brand new and perhaps there is a break in period as well, but they are quiet now. I'll look to figure out a way to inject some lithium grease between shakles down the road for now we're good. Cheers gear heads!

tiger260

Gold forum user
What's these donuts you speak of Randy?
Do you mean those rubber washers at each side of the spring?

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
hmmmmmmmm, donuts.

Several years ago I fabricated delrin donuts for the Tiger factory leaf springs. I probably sold ~20 sets on ebay for $20 a set with free shipping. They went like hotcakes. Do I need to make some more?

I don't know if Dale's springs use the donuts or they just rub against each other.

Ohio Tiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I have a set of Dale's springs

I have a new set of Dale's springs that I will be installing in the near future. I will just hate the springs to be squeaking. I like the idea of a more permanent solution with the donuts than having to lube the springs periodically. I'm not sure how to tell if Dale's springs will accommodate the "donuts". Any suggestions? Thanks.

Bill in Ohio

grelley

Silver forum user
I also had the squeeky "Dales" springs in my car. What it turned out to be was the front bush was turning (too loose a fit) in the eye of the spring. I removed the bush and knurled the outer steel sleeve, and refitted the bush with some Loctite. Before tightening the front bolts, I jacked the car up to take the weight and then tightened the bolt. Squeak gone and not returned!