'66 Tiger Dana 44 - pulling rear hubs

Chris Major

Silver forum user
My new (to me) '66 has rear hubs installed on wrong sides. I have broken
(2) pullers so far trying to remove and switch hubs. Whats' the trick here--hub puller, a little heat and little "can do" attitude isn't working so far.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Major

CAT members, thanks again for all the support!!!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Carfeul of the hubs.. its very easy to damage the axel housings (bell them).. you need a good hub puller.. time and patience.... do not get a machiene shop to press them off.. try not to use heat on them if it can be avoided. There were some good recomendations for pullers a while back.. wills ee if i can dig them up.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yank, Bang, Curse !

I always liked the Brit term "drift" which refers to the action of a BFH (aka large impact device) upon hard steel. In this case your tapping the end of the puller's bolt with determination after it won't tighten anymore. Be very, very careful about protecting the axle threads with a full nut. We are furtunate to own an ancient 4-jaw puller from Hades that I think we found in a heavy equipment auction years ago. Those wee hubs sure can be some stubborn fer sure . . . . . .

Cal44

Gold forum user
I just take my rear end to the rear end guy. That is what he does for a living...... upside? those guys have the tools and it doesn't allow me too screw something up............

Anyone have an old Lotus Elan they want too sell?

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Caution

Be careful who you trust.

Back about twenty years ago I did just that. It was a local offroad shop that does many many Dana 44 rear ends and has a good rep too. But I found out the hard way after they called asking me how to do it and by the way had busted one stud.

I had to ship it out the the Tiger expert 60 miles away who managed to put it right. Almost right that is as I got it back with only three good studs on that side and the axle installed. Arrggh there is not enough space to install the stud with axle installed. My fault? I did not ask him to replace the stud?

Rick

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
The 4x4 rear end "expert" I used , crossed threaded the brake line on one of the rear cylinders. "It was that way when we took it apart". NO WAY, but he had my car, and I had to pay for a new brake cylinder, or I wasnt going to get my car back. They did fix the rear end noise, BUT, you got to ask if they ever worked on a Tiger before.

Chris Major

Silver forum user
Thanks all. I bit the bullet and bought the puller that our lunar-canine friend recommended. Thanks Moon!!!!

Warren

Gold forum user
Tigerless

I just take my rear end to the rear end guy. That is what he does for a living...... upside? those guys have the tools and it doesn't allow me too screw something up............

Anyone have an old Lotus Elan they want too sell?

Why don't you just get a Miata and drop a V8 in it? What a good way to make it a man's car and not Emma Peel from the Avengers.

A cool but not fast four banger, How about a Fiat 128 sport conv.? a buddy has one and a 850 . The best thing is you can literally throw back the top with a flick of the arm, like King Henry the 8th and a turkey leg.

Wish I wold have had time to see your kitty before it sold,
W.