.050 axle shaft end float.

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
30 years ago the rear end in my car started to make noise. I took the car to a shop that said the knew all about Dana 44's. they "fixed the noise". 3 weeks later I hit a curb, bent the front end, then parked it for 30 years. I am replacing rubber hoses and seals, stuff that would leak. I figured the seals in the rear end should be replaced. Before I started I checked the axle end play. The hub-axle moved in and out so much I could measure it with a tape measure. A hair under 1/16". I used the depth gauge part of my Vernier caliper. I pushed the hub in and measured from the face of the hub back to the brake backing plate, then I pulled the hub and axle out and measured again. the difference was .050, the other side (passenger) measured the same. After I pulled the hubs, and brake backing plate off, I found their are NO SHIMS. How could there be so much end play with no shims? The manual talks about "bearing creep" Both sides are the same. I haven't pulled the axles out yet, I'm waiting for an adapter for the slide hammer.
On page 2 section G in the manual, part #12 is an axle shaft spacer, do you think "they" left it out? What else could be wrong?

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
Figured it out

The bearing retainer plate was installed on the wrong side of the backing plate, on the passenger side.