Flywheel weight?

Tweak

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Well I have a Mexican 302 at the engine builders. If the crank and rods are fine, it will likely stay about that size. If the crank isn't good, than a stroker kit is going to have some appeal.

But, if the engine stays a 302 and is mated to a five speed, what flywheel do I go with? Aluminum? Steel but light-ish?

Just one of so many decisions! Fun!

PITT40

Gold forum user
You are concerned with the balance more than weight. Light will make it rev faster and decelerate faster. All small block Fords prior to 1981 were 28oz imbalance. In 1981 they went to 50oz. So you need to mate the right harmonic balancer and flywheel to the right crank. You can buy stroker kits of both weights. My guess is that you have 28oz.

Ford part#s are as such:

1960's= C
70's= D
80's= E

The next digit will be a number. So if it's C6.... it's 1966. So the flywheel will be 28oz. If it's E1 or higher, than it's 50oz.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have been looking into this recently too. I will likely being going the aluminum flywheel direction. A number of the flywheels come with two sets of weights for either a 28 or 50 lunch configuration. As PITT mentioned, if you go the stroker direction, make sure the flywheel, crank, and dampener pulley are all the set up for the same weight or it will mostly likely shake worse than a chihuahua trying to pass a peach seed!
-Kevin

dstephns

Gold forum user
CAT Member
if you go the stroker direction, make sure the flywheel, crank, and dampener pulley are all the set up for the same weight or it will mostly likely shake worse than a chihuahua trying to pass a peach seed!
-Kevin
That's funny!!:D