Sway bars?

PITT40

Gold forum user
Does a rear bar for an MGB, TR6, etc fit a Tiger? Or does someone make a Sunbeam specific one? I haven't ever seen one.

Also, is there a front bar made that mounts differently than the stock one into the control arms? Was never fan of the design.

Also, I have heard that an MG Midget rack is a Tiger upgrade of sorts. What does it do and how difficult is the swap?

I know Sunbeams are known for bad front suspension geometry and think ahead because I may want to autocross.

mwood

Gold forum user
Addco still makes a rear bar kit for the Tiger.

They work just great with torque arms ;)

Fabricating a front bar that uses a more common end link or blade design wouldn't be rocket science, but would require modification to the lower a-arm and brackets to hard mount the pivot bushings.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mikev.. Tsk tsk!!!

Adco do supply rear bars for alpines and Tiger. The general opinion us they make the car very twitchy and you will have to at least balance out the front bars and springs.

As for fronts I know adco also sell larger ones but stock pattern. The race guys seem to have modified fronts but assume they are custom.

As for racks early midget rack with mgb steering arms and alpine tie rods on special mounts gives quicker rack and less Ackerman angle also better adjustment when setting front alignment

Paul4223

Gold forum user
I think rear sway bars on a street Tiger are, at best, counterproductive. I've got a 1" bar in front - that was a worthwhile improvement. Konis also helped a lot.

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sway bar

I've got a rear sway bar that I took off B9471705 as I think they're useless on a Tiger, but I'd be glad to sell it to you cheap if you think you need one!
Bob K.
B9471705

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It used to be "common knowledge" that Tigers didn't like rear bars. Everyone "knew" a rear bar wouldn't work on a Tiger. Back then, the most available bar was the Addco. I don't like the Addco bar design since it has very short lever arms. (7"?) These short arms make lifting an inside wheel much more possible. And lifting an inside wheel can be very twitchy.

Like Mike mentioned, making a rear bar using off the shelf parts isn't rocket science. We did that 10 or 12 years ago and ended up with lever arms that are 15" long. In the Tiger vintage race world, most of those using rear bars today have followed this route. A 34" splined bar from Speeway fits quite nicely on the bulkhead between the frames forward of the Tiger differential.

bt,
at the beach

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I made this rear setup using a Speedway bar and arms with custom brackets... I also run a 1 1/8" front bar that goes on the a-arms in the stock configuration
I don't flog/autocross the car enough to say if it's the best setup.

attachment.php

Jim
B382000446

artist

Bronze forum user
Now that I am an old fart I can look back on my Solo2 years with fondness. 30 of them ago. I ran a 1 inch bar up front and an Addco bar on the rear. I preferred the tight ass feeling, still do. Especially on those tight courses where a little oversteer was good. This was in the prepared class with some pretty meaty race tires. If I were to run in a street class I probably would not use a rear bar as the power slide (gas peddle) would make up for the front end pushing out on you. I recommend you decide the class you want to run in and then choose what equipment to put on. Also look into the rules as to what is allowed. Local sanctioning bodies are more liberal than what SCCA allowed. Todays equipment and development of parts is so far superior to what I had available, things are better.

Warren

Gold forum user
Nice rack for a 50 year old, yea she had work done

What were you thinking :DHere is a pic of a MG set up off car with a rather hefty sway bar. Early Dale A. work from a move up client.

For comparison stock rack on top well endowed I'd say.

highlander

New forum user
I have a 1 inch sway bar on my 1965 Tiger

Now that I am an old fart I can look back on my Solo2 years with fondness. 30 of them ago. I ran a 1 inch bar up front and an Addco bar on the rear. I preferred the tight ass feeling, still do. Especially on those tight courses where a little oversteer was good. This was in the prepared class with some pretty meaty race tires. If I were to run in a street class I probably would not use a rear bar as the power slide (gas peddle) would make up for the front end pushing out on you. I recommend you decide the class you want to run in and then choose what equipment to put on. Also look into the rules as to what is allowed. Local sanctioning bodies are more liberal than what SCCA allowed. Todays equipment and development of parts is so far superior to what I had available, things are better.

I have a 1 inch sway bar on my 1965 Tiger and the bushings need to be replaced. Do you you know where I can find new 1" bushings?

whiskytangofoxtrot

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I agree 1 inch flex pvc makes good bushings for that hollow 1 inch bar, I think I got my bar back in 86 a little lithium grease helps the home made bushings slide on