Booster rebuild

Growler

Gold forum user
I think my booster has failed as I loose all my brake fluid in a matter of 5 miles. I haven't yet taken off the vacuum hose to see if there is fluid in it (which should indicate a hole in the diaphragm if I am correct in my thinking) but will do that soon to confirm ad I do not have any leaking cylinders/hoses.

My question is this... is it difficult to rebuild myself (obviously never done it but am fairly handy) with a SS kit at +- $90. Or is it difficult/tricky enough to have a pro do it... and who is the "to to" guy?

Thanks

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
most of the time the brake fluid
will be in the can- not very difficult to rebuild but there are certain things to be done- there's a great u-tube video by a cat member that's worth watching

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A Couple of Places Come to Mind

who is the "to to" guy?

Thanks

I believe Bill Martin rebuilds the boosters. Also, there was an article last year in C.A.T.'s Tiger Tales about Smitty down in San Diego rebuilding them, too. Smitty was shown using a tool that allowed him to replace the leather seal on the large piston.

Many years ago, I rebuilt my own booster and it went OK, except I could not figure out how to replace that large leather seal with my limited hand tools. Maybe the video referred to shows how to do so, but I have yet to watch it.

By the way, you can build or purchase a bypass from C.A.T. that allows your brakes to work without the booster, so you can continue driving your Tiger while the booster is out. Braking effort is harder, though.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Warren

Gold forum user
Dale A.

Had a 5" sitting and looking for a home . He said it had Bill Martin's fingerprints on it from a rebuild. Bet it's still there.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Unplug it now.

I think my booster has failed as I loose all my brake fluid in a matter of 5 miles. I haven't yet taken off the vacuum hose to see if there is fluid in it (which should indicate a hole in the diaphragm if I am correct in my thinking) but will do that soon to confirm ad I do not have any leaking cylinders/hoses.

My question is this... is it difficult to rebuild myself (obviously never done it but am fairly handy) with a SS kit at +- $90. Or is it difficult/tricky enough to have a pro do it... and who is the "to to" guy?

Thanks

If it's slurping that much fluid, disconnect and plug the vacuum line now before the piston rings get washed out in yer motor. Not good. Follow the kit instructions carefully and cleanly. Give a shout if you need morale support. We do a lot of them . . . . . . . .

Growler

Gold forum user
jerry christopherson is the u-tube video

Watched all 59+ minutes of the video. Looks like something I can handle. If I find scoring or something that I don't feel comfortable with, I'll ask the pros ... After all, we are dealing with the brakes šŸ˜‰

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I go a little bit more- I have the inside of can chromed and polished- the valve if pitted must be re-lined-apple hydraulics NY. is doing that- it a 3-step brass liner- tiger shop notes has the picture of the removal and install tool- welding rod is a good choice.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Caution caution caution !

I go a little bit more- I have the inside of can chromed and polished- the valve if pitted must be re-lined-apple hydraulics NY. is doing that- it a 3-step brass liner- tiger shop notes has the picture of the removal and install tool- welding rod is a good choice.

I have a long-term running debate with Lazar at Apple over the lack of taper when they install the brass liners. Without a good factory style entry taper the lip seals either get flipped backwards or sliced, OR both. We get customers who send us really good looking re-lined brake servos that don't work because the seals got messed up during installation. 2-1/2 cents just sayin':rolleyes: