hardtop rear and side glass orders

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks Warren. I'm interested in a set if the new owner is willing to do a run.

-Jon

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hardtop glass

I'm going to be doing my hardtop soon, put me down for a set. They are clear glass, no tint, correct?
Brian

Warren

Gold forum user
No call back

It's been a couple of days since I called the new owner. I can't and do not have the need or the motivation to solicit the new owner for the molds or to ask him at what production number would it make sense at. I think they are really nice even though I have not installed mine. We have had a plastic window convertible in the family motor pool and a glass one and there is no comparison. If there was a bigger number of ready and willing buyers it'd be easier as well.

If the guys sells his molds you still need a oven . I think this guy is set up only to do deep pocket one off's for exotic movie industry types.

If I break mine during install I might become more motivated:O

P. Scofield

Black arm band member RIP
Well, since nothing seems to be happening here
...............I'm going to go ahead and order some plastic.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Glass

Yes I was wondering the same thing. Does anybody know anything about hardtop glass and who or where it could be ordered?
Brian

Warren

Gold forum user
Another thread

The mold is owned by the current owner of a glass shop in Burbank he bought the business from a tiger owner named Lee Allan . Leepear a forum remember here bought his car and had a run of glass made by the fella that retired and sold the business.

I contacted the business twice and asked him if he would consider making another run and I did not get past the secretary apparently it's not important enough or worth his time. I would believe that it would be a worthwhile project for the club to have the mold because I bet you can make plastic windows with it too. If anyone wants contact information for the glass shop or would be interested in a set of glass windows please contact me.

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hi Warren,

Great idea to get the mold, thanks for thinking of it. I'm interested in a glass set and happy to contribute to buying the mold and getting glass made. Thank you!

-Jon

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Windscreen molds are simple and I had a Speedster one made in Thailand fairly inexpensively. Thailand is the Detroit of Asia and windscreens are cheap and properly made.
Probably not practical for the Tiger, given freight and the need for an original to copy

It might not be too expensive to either buy this mould or make another

I am in for a glass one, or contributing to a mould if the price is right and makes economic sense

Warren

Gold forum user
Third time's the charm

Guys I called the owner and got the secretary again and left another message the place is called Cinema Auto Glass 818-780-6272 . I told the secretary what I was interested in and she said that he probably wouldn't sell the mold.

I have one set of windows and I'm going to use in my personalized car and just for those who are wondering this is a safety glass laminate class not like the side windows done in tempered or a AS2 I believe however you will find no AS1 or AS2 markings on these pieces.

I'm only chasing this guy because five of you have asked me I suppose it five of you were really interested I would need probably at least 5 more to get this guy interested. The best case scenario is to shoot for a delivery of these two the next Tigers United because frankly I can't get involved with crating and shipping these individually.
Sure I sell a little bit Parts here and there and their cleaners but that's a different cup of tea.

If you have not replied to this post already and you are truly interested reply to the post and let everybody else know, there's nothing worse than being left dangling.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hardtop glass

I was wondering if that the current owner of the mould for the rear hardtop window is not that motivated, then that's fine, let him continue to own the mould, while our club could produce their own mould (or joint ownership with other clubs) to manufacture glass or plexiglass for our hardtops. There could be a price for club members, affiliated clubs, and non members. The club would benefit by not being extorted by a third party, but completely in control of these pieces, and generate income to possibly develop more bits and pieces. I'm sure the club would welcome new cash flow, more parts to be offered, and an opportunity to enhance club membership.
Just my 2cents.
Brian

Doug C

Gold forum user
Hard top glass

I came across a supplier who makes classic car glass. I inquired as to the possibility of getting some made for Sunbeam hard top.

I don't have the time to peruse this and I already have a set of glass so I don't need additional glass.

BELOW IS the response;

Flat side glass is already priced on website – would need patterns of actual glass size needed – but curved b/g ( since we don’t have the tool/mold for that ) looking at north of $3K.

www.VintageGlass.com & www.BallsPowerWindows.com

MY RESPONSE:
Thanks your quick response.

The Sunbeam Tiger and Alpine has a removable hard top with 2-small side flat windows and a rear that is slightly curved. Originally they were plastic or plexiglass. At one time a glass company in Burbank reproduced these in glass but has since closed down. Many current owners have shown interest in replacing their scratched windows with glass.

I am also coping a individual who is very involved with the Tiger/Sunbeam clubs and community.

Please reach out if you have any questions.

Doug Courtenay

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe...

Rick sells plexiglass rear windows so he must have, or has acess to a mould

Sometimes Rick stocks up on something that has already been reproduced rather than re-invent the wheel. So, he may have them in stock for awhile, and then no more, depending on whether his source still has some. I know he as done this with some of the stuff CAT reproduces- he told me himself many years ago. Kirk.

CT Tiger

Silver forum user
I need rear glass as well , I have in the past had a local shop make me glass for custom applications like chopped cars etc . it wasn't cheap but didnt break the bank either .

Anyhow I have two back windows as patterns I will bring to them and see what they can do , both my hardtops are late , is there any difference in the windows from early hardtops ?

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I am about to buy the hardtop windows.
Any progress on a club run of glass windows?

(Admin Note: this never was a CAT "club" project. BT)

Last edited by a moderator:

Warren

Gold forum user
Negative

Lee Alan Glass in No. Hollywood sold his business and the new guy won't respond even though he has a mold and a kiln. C H ris Richards has a set from the only run of 6 or 8 sets that Lee Pearl commissioned. I think Chris is selling a set on eBay now. I'd contact him out of eBay he's in Arcata California. I'll be tinting all 3 window.

Brian or anyone else I'd pass on the number of the business and possibly the new owner who has the mold will co-operate.

* intentional mispellun

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_160124_01_01.jpg
    IMG_20190629_160124_01_01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108