2006 Shelby GT (not 500) trade

Doug C

Gold forum user
I am selling a 2007 Shelby GT with 60,000 miles, or (TRADE + ? for a 1964 Tiger). The Shelby is White with painted silver stripes, automatic, tan interior (very few made). No accidents or track days and it's a west coast car AZ and CA.

I can't keep buying cars and want a 1964 Tiger.

Thanks for your consideration - Doug

Doug C

Gold forum user
How would you go about identifying a '64 Tiger?

J.D.

Book of Norman lists date car was built and VIN number.

According to what I understand there were a little over 1640 (1964 built) with about 1400+ coming to the USA.

I am still learning so bear with me if I am a little off with these numbers.

Cheers - Doug

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
6 or half dozen

Allow me to elaborate Doug...

The definition of the "model year" has changed from year to year and manufacturer to manufacturer. State to State and dealer to dealer.

My VIN indicates build date in 1965, but was sold in CA as a 1966. There was no distinction as there now is for cars (and that distinction still differs country to country, but I digress).

If you look at the Birthday thread, you'll find members mentioning the build or birth dates of their tigers as now being "50 years old".

So... could you have a Tiger built (earlier) in 1964 that was sold in 1964? Possibly... or a Tiger built in 1964 that was sold as a '65? Possibly...

IF your contention is simply to focus on cars BUILT in 1964, then the BON will help you much. If your intention is to find a car registered as a 1964... thats a bit looser and yet more difficult definition. Perhaps.

Derek

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Doug

Derek is dead on...my Tiger is one of the very first off the Jensen production line...19 June 1964. It is, however, titled as a 1965. The only one who knows its birthday is me, those who have read my 50th Birthday thread, and the few people who have a BON.

Title, registration, and Insurance card all say 1965.

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just Posted BDay for B9471538

Mine was registered in CA as 1966. I have original pink slip with issue date of 4/4/66.

Doug C

Gold forum user
I love the comments and I will go by the built date. As I personally consider that the year of manufacture. I do realize that other car companies have also built cars in one year but titled them a different year.

Again much appreciated - Doug

trevor91773

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Fudging the numbers

I understand there was a bit of fudging of the model year by the dealerships back then. My car was built on Jan 24, 1967 (weird because my mom's birthdate is Jan 24) but is registered as a 1968 Tiger. Obviously, there is no such thing as a 68 Tiger. I think the factory color, #109 Orchid Green, may have had something to do with it. It takes a special person to have a fondness for the color and the car may have sat on the lot until the late 67 or even early 68. (One of the previous owners must have felt the same way because it was red when I bought it)

I had debated petitioning the DMV to adjust the year on the registration, but after reading an article ( I think by CAT) stating there are approximately 120 or so known Tigers registered as 68's, I thought it best to leave it alone.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Doug--I would go with the "build" date and leave it at that. Like some have said, DMV used the date it was sold and not built. At least if it has a 64 build date you are satisfied. My second Tiger was a Mk1a yet titled as a 67. :confused:
Look in the BON and check around car 1600 ( I just picked a random number) and see the build date--if it's one of the last 64's then keep your search to that number and below. Good luck.

Doug C

Gold forum user
Bruce exactly my thoughts - so if anybody has a Tiger with a vin or under please let me know. If it's nice I'd even look at one without an engine. Cheers Doug