Rear gears?

PITT40

Gold forum user
Will any Dana 44 gears fit a Tiger (except reverse rotation 4x4)? Or are there special pinion diameter/bearing sizes to be aware of? Same goes for the center section, if I want to install a posi?

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Yes. Realize that depending on the gear set, the carrier may need to be changed if you do a big gear change. Carrier break: 2.72:1 – 3.73:1 and 3.92 – 5.89:1.

I had 4:?? gears in my Tiger when purchased and had to do a carrier change to go to 3:07. Simple gear change ='s $. Gear and carrier change ='s $$$. I was again pissed at the PO.

SYZonker

Bronze forum user
Dana 44 and Gleason

About 25 years ago I purchased a Gleason and a matching 2.72 ring and pinon..Good thing I orderd them both at the same time as a set..
Problems so far.. The stock ring gear would NOT fit the Gleason..
It had a different bolt circle diameter.. (the Gleason was smaller)
Bummer as I wanted to keep the 2.88.. Good news the 2.72 ring fit..
next problem is the yoke will not fit.. Grrrr.. Spline count is wrong..
need a 26 count spline.. just orderd new yoke, ubolts, ujoint..
now all that will happen is the now ujoint will not fit the drive shaft.. so then I can go out and get a new drive shaft.. AHH the joys of the Tiger world..

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am a big fan of the wide ratio toploader with the 2.90 first gear and 2.72 rearend gears. This combination makes for a 19% lower first gear and a 6% overdrive compared to the factory close ratio transmission and 2.88 rearend gears. The original British Dana 44 2.88 rearend gears use a 10 spline yoke, while the American 2.72 gears use a 26 spline yoke. IWE Rearends in Canada can supply you with a 26 spline yoke that is identical to the Tiger 10 spline yoke and you don't have change your driveshaft. The 26 spline yoke actually comes from a Jaguar and bolts right up to the 2.72 gears and to the orginal Tiger driveshaft, no mods required.

http://www.iwerearendsonly.com/

I supply the Tiger community with positractions and always recommend this gearing and yoke combination.

Gary