soft top storage

steven

Gold forum user
The soft top folds down into a bag that protects it from the trunk (boot).
I would like dimensions of the bag and how it is attached to the metal to make the bag shape.

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Do you still need this info? I could do some rough measurements and a couple of pictures. My bag is attached with screws but may not be stock. Cliff

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Draperies

The soft top folds down into a bag that protects it from the trunk (boot).
I would like dimensions of the bag and how it is attached to the metal to make the bag shape.

Not so much a bag as a wide drape that had a piece of metal strip stitched in at the top and was drilled & riveted to the upper deck at the top of the boot. The bottom has a piece of rubber molding stitched in and grabs the pinch weld at the top of the rear shock tower panel.

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here are pictures and measurements of my top container (bag, drape). These measurements are approximations since it's hard to get an accurate measurement when it's installed. The 7" is of the material that loops back and fastens on to the body. This is an after market bag installed with screws rather than rivets. I think this bag is too small since it's really difficult to get the top and all the hardware fastened down in a MK1. Hope this helps, Cliff

Attachments

• EMTOP1.jpg
    EMTOP1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 190
  • EMTOP2.jpg
    EMTOP2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 168
  • EMTOP3.jpg
    EMTOP3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 177
  • EMTOP4.jpg
    EMTOP4.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 206
  • EMTOP5.jpg
    EMTOP5.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 156

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Another Odd Question

Here are pictures and measurements of my top container (bag, drape). These measurements are approximations since it's hard to get an accurate measurement when it's installed. The 7" is of the material that loops back and fastens on to the body. This is an after market bag installed with screws rather than rivets. I think this bag is too small since it's really difficult to get the top and all the hardware fastened down in a MK1. Hope this helps, Cliff

Noticed a nice & clean truss-head screw in the boot hinge. Does anyone know if the 1/4" X 28 tpi truss-head screws are still available anywhere? The repros are all metric . . . .:mad:

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I just measured a reproduction I got from Sunbeam Specialties. It's for a Mark 1A and pebble-grain. It's 15&3/4" top to bottom with the top 1&1/4" folded over to make the sleeve for the metal strip to slide into, and 43&1/2" wide with 1/2" on each side folded over and stitched. The rubber molding at the bottom is 36" wide and not quite centered; it looks a bit like a split hose with an approximately 1/2" flap coming off of it for its entire length. I tried to get a decent photo of it.

-Jon

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 156