SOLD 1966 Tiger Mk1A for sale. Original owner SOLD

cleandan

Silver forum user
SOLD Hello, I am posting this ad for a friend who is selling his 1966 Sunbeam Tiger.
Dean purchased the car new in 1966.
The car is 98% stock/original with under 61,xxx miles.
Things that are not original factory stock anymore
Wheels and tires, mufflers, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, 3.07:1 gears and the Haldex twin master affixed to the dash on the passenger side (no holes drilled or dash damage for this mount however).
The car had a repaint in 1985. Otherwise the car is still original with the exception of normal wear items for general maintenance.
Extras that are included in the sale: (4) 13"x7" American Racing Libre wheels (these are extra to the wheels on the car in the photos.) (4) original steel wheels, hubcaps, trim rings. A trunk mounted luggage rack with clamps. Seat foam for the passenger side. Passenger compartment tonneau cover. Many articles of literature concerning the Tiger (books, ads, brochures and the like) both original and aftermarket. And a few other things I can't remember right now.
Dean is asking $xx,000. SOLD
The car can be viewed at,

You can call Dean at, SOLD.
The car is located in MN and I will also answer any questions you have about the car. Thanks and have a great day.
Dan SOLD

Last edited by a moderator:

tundratiger67

Bronze forum user
Nice Tiger, very original

I remember running into Dean with his Tiger at a Wings & Wheels event in Osceola, WI several years ago. I was amazed at the condition of the car and the fact that he bought it new in Minneapolis (seven corners of the west bank, UM campus, if I recall).

I'm sorry to see that he's selling it but I hope it goes to a good home and a caring owner. It's a rare gem of a car!

Randy Z.
Duluth, MN

tiger260

Gold forum user
That looks like a really nice car.

I can't see it being for sale for long and I hope the new owner keeps it as close to as is as possible.

jtiger

Bronze forum user
1966 mk-1a sunbeam tiger for sale original owner

Dean/Dan,

Looks like a real nice original car.
Do you have the original bill of sale from the original purchase?
Is the car Tac'd or on the registry?
Im located southern California, do you have underneath pic's to send.
looks like a # matching car, engine, transmission and rear?
Thank you for taking my ? If this car checks out, I would like to make a bid.

thanks,

Joe

jtiger

Bronze forum user
1966 MK-1 for sale

Dean/Dan,

trying to call # for ? and answer.

thanks,

Joe: nine four nine- six three two- eight four seven eight.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I want this car now! It just looks so nice sitting on the libre wheels with some nice period touches...... Someone buy this and take it down to Monterey for the group PIC!

cleandan

Silver forum user
Dean/Dan,

Looks like a real nice original car.
Do you have the original bill of sale from the original purchase?
Is the car Tac'd or on the registry?
Im located southern California, do you have underneath pic's to send.
looks like a # matching car, engine, transmission and rear?
Thank you for taking my ? If this car checks out, I would like to make a bid.

thanks,

Joe
Good afternoon Joe,
First, I will try to call you tonight (Friday the 1st) and we can speak directly rather than waiting for answers.
The original bill of sale was lost in one of Deans moves over time but he does have some original literature (the Tiger owners manual for one) from the dealer with his name and vehicle numbers.
I do not believe Dean ever registered or TAC'd his Tiger. He was a member of a Sunbeam club many years ago but has not been for a long time.
As far as number matching, yes. The alterations to the driveline consist of swapping the 2.88:1 gears for 3.07:1 gears, using a better plastic radiator fan, and using easier to manage oil filter flexible lines. All original parts were kept and are part of the deal. Otherwise the car is as delivered except for fluid changes and regular maintenance.

cleandan

Silver forum user
That looks like a really nice car.

I can't see it being for sale for long and I hope the new owner keeps it as close to as is as possible.
I also hope someone keeps the car close to what it is now. But I do understand that the new owner can do what they want because they own it.
This is THE Tiger that first bit me and made me seek out one later in life.
I tried to buy this car from Dean for 12 years, starting in 1990, but Dean was not ready to let it go, he said it was like a part of the family.
I took Dean with me when I went to look at the Tiger I currently own prior to purchase.
Dean was also gratious enough to give me first chance at buying this car and I tell you it was a HARD decision to say no. I know me pretty well and I tend to modify my cars over time. You know, more power, better suspension, better brakes and so on. I also know this particular car, although not perfect, should be left as is with only practical maintenance to keep it safe and original. I find that it is not wise to invite your heros over for dinner. For my whole life I have watched this car in awe. Thinking...someday, maybe someday, I'll have one too. When the chance came to buy my hero car I realized that I can not keep what was, and I did not want to accidentally purchase a memory chaser that can never be caught. I don't know if I would enjoy forever driving "Deans Tiger", or answering questions like, how's Deans Tiger or why did you do that to Deans Tiger?
I think this car needs remain the hero, perfect in my memory while I enjoy my own Tiger for what it is.
Lastly, it is a fair bit of money to purchase this car. Money I don't have to dedicate to this car at this time.
My Tiger is still under repair after a deer hit and I also have a Galaxie that could use some attention as well.

jtiger

Bronze forum user
1966 mk-1a sunbeam tiger for sale original owner

HI dan,

I spoke to dean, he is a great fellow. We chatted yesterday for about 20 minutes I really enjoyed his conversation. Its beyond rare that you find an original owner.
I made an offer to Dean and he accepted, we will close the deal on Monday.
I will keep this car as close to original as I can. It is a good piece of change and I am buying site unseen except for pictures. i feel comfortable that Dean is representing the car honestly. If you can help him get as much of the history,pictures of him with car past and present. I want to preserve his legacy of the car always. I feel privileged at the opportunity to buy his "baby" I will take care of her. I will be around all weekend if you want to chat, I appreciate you listing the car on the club site. Best Joe

tundratiger67

Bronze forum user
Well done!

Joe:

You won't regret your decision. It's a very nice car.

I'm sorry to see it leave Minnesota but, like many of us, we eventually migrate westwards in hopes of extending our days. I'm sure this move will benefit the Tiger, too.

Enjoy!

Randy Z.
Duluth, MN

jtiger

Bronze forum user
1966 tiger mk1a

Randy Z,

I am beyond happy and thankful for this beauty.
Dean is the most humble and nice person I have had the pleasure of speaking.
I was just telling my wife this is the best purchase we will ever make.
I will keep this car original and happy.

Thanks for all the good will.

Best,

Joe