B9471122 rebirth

steven

Gold forum user
Hi, started the very early stages of the rebirth. When it arrived I knew it needed repair from damage. The right side took a big hit in the past. I bought right fenders and door and other parts to assist. First inspection was to try to open the damaged door. Removed the door trim and the window'door handles. Looked good, the screws holding the window mech were covered in wax. When I removed the window and mech, the door had the origional padding on the outer skin to absorb vibration. Finally got the damaged door open. It is a crying shame that such a good door has been wacked hard. I will keep it for future owners that need sections for rust repairs. My next event is to remove engine & transmission, and everything else and put it on a rotisserie. I need to replace the front fender, B post, rear fender. May also replace the left fender, saw some bog in it. Oh happy days are here again.

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It sounds like you have a great project! Can you post photos of before, during, and after your work? Good luck!! Eric

steven

Gold forum user
Hi, Tiger Blue has kindly offered to help me images of this new adventure. Started by opening the right door, took a while but acheived. Next saga was to strip the bonnet (hood) as it had paint damage and showing corrosion. Went well with the new abrasive pads for grinders, down side, found some damage (minor) and the noise. We live in suburbia and the council (local gov) has stated the major work should be checking oil and water on a car. Soooo may change back to paint stripper (its quiet if I don't swear at it). Hope to show images as it progresses. Oh, also received new tool for drilling out the spot welds. Yippeee fun times again

Last edited by a moderator:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steven,

Looks ot be a very complete car, which is always a good start (do you have the air filter housing and the wooden parts from the steering wheel?)

Have you had a chance to run a tape measure over the car yet, check it side to side and length ways to asses if/how much distorition has occured in the monobody?

steven

Gold forum user
I have bought a alloy air cleaner housing, have to get it polished. Also bought a air cleaner element that has gone missing in transit. I do not have any of the steering wheel wood. Was wondering if I could make the wood, I did so about 30 years ago on a Morris Major. Not sure about that at this stage. Today I have stripped the bonnet treated the minor surface rust and it is now in primer. The right door is off and stripped. I do have a complete set of panels that I had shipped with the car. it will just take a while to remove and refit the front and rear fenders. The only thing Iam missing at the moment is a replacement front valance.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steven,

There is a guy in the states who remakes the wooden wheels if you send him the original (given the $AU. might be worth a go)

You say you got an alloy air cleaner housing? As in the "TIGER" lettered ones that match the LAT rocker covers, or some other aftermarket setup?

If you want an original GT wheel i know some people that have them off their cars locally, but they are unlikely to part with them cheaply.. they have been bringing inconsistent prices on ebay UK lately.. a nice one sold for about AU$350 a week back.. and a few days later a more average one went for $AU550... so keep an eye out i guess.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steering Wheel

Steven

The guy who restores the wood steering wheels is Ken Corbin from Colorado, Tel No. (303) 264-5787. He does not have any internet connectivity. I purchased a restored wood wheel from him last year. I believe he gets $600 + a core. I had to pay a bit more since I did not have a core.

I know that sounds a bit pricey but his work is nothing less than spectacular. I have attached a few photos that show the detail and quality of his workmanship.

Hope it helps.

Jim

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael could you give some more detail on measuring the car.
Also is the Tiger email list still going, I got knocked off acouple of months ago? Thanks Kbeck

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael could you give some more detail on measuring the car.
Also is the Tiger email list still going, I got knocked off acouple of months ago? Thanks Kbeck

Basically measuring the car to see how straight it is. The easy ones are the lengths front to rear from the end of the frame rails, centres of the wheels down both lengths, also check the dimiesnsions at the start of the WSM and see how those on your car compare. Others have some other dims they look at (read the thread on the building a rotiserie, maybe PM randy and ask the measurements he uses in realtion to valences and doors etc)

As for the list.. its running, but is quiet as many people kept dropping off due to server issues.. hopefully people will sart signing up again.

steven

Gold forum user
Well I have started the process of preparing the replacement body panels for the big replacements. I have tried a few of the so called spot weld cutters (like a mini hole saw) and have given up, with 4 drill cutters I cut about 20 welds before thay all broke their cutting teeth. At that rate I would need a hundred or so to complete the job. Tomorrow going back to the old spot weld drill bits, have to last longer. I hope.:mad:

Cal44

Gold forum user
Steven,
Spot weld cutters are very brittle and thin. They must be pushed in gingerly while cutting the metal. My last car required a bunch of them.

I am curious what kind the body shops use. I can't imagine at the cost per hour that breaking spot weld cutters would be the norm.

Does yours have the spring loaded centering pin?

Mike

steven

Gold forum user
Yes they do, I was starting to wonder how hard the sunbeam metal is. Also had to drill pilot hole so the spring loaded centre pin did'nt wander. Will check with a body shop on what they use today, maybe the drill type remover.

steven

Gold forum user
Well, visited a couple of body shops, the older guys said forget the cutters, use a good spot remover drill. Did so working well. On another issue, I have a nephew who graduated with honors at a very good body shop, now has own business. His dad, my younger brother told me not to ask him about my project. Sooooooo I did, he is coming over Sunday to check the beast out and see if I am going right, maybe I can cajole him when serios body work begins.:D Heading off on the QLD Sunbeam outing tomorrow(Saturday) and will take the long way with the Alpine, missing the city and taking the long way around the local mountain. The webbers will get to sing along the run.:D

steven

Gold forum user
Well, have progressed slowly, the car is almost ready for the rotisserie so I stripped the right door (the good one) and found a repair that involved lots of small drill holes about 2 foot long filled with bog, from the inside. another old repair from a supposed origional car. Looking on the bright side, no rust at all however I dont want to sound biassed, the lady owner (was she blond?) that bought the tiger new seemed to have damaged almost all the panels. Oh well, panels can be replaced or repaired. Will post images when something interesting happens.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
This is quite the project you are taking on--I wish I had the energy you have..haha. Keep us posted with pics, I enjoy seeing the progress.

steven

Gold forum user
Repacement right side front fender has been released from the sorrounding metal that it arrived with, solved the spot weld problem. Pity the worker assembling it 50 or so years ago decided on sticking a few extra welds on the long folded rear side that goes to the door frame. Took a while to realise the folded section had been front welded as well. Maybe was a monday morning assembly. Dissambly of the Tiger is progressing, will post some piccies when I have something of interest. Oh anothet point, may have to take the steering wheel off my V Alpine for the Tiger, 2 on Ebay are over $500:eek:

steven

Gold forum user
Front end is off, engine next. Just started spring over here, days getting longer, storms getting started. Have bought a Mazda rear brake assembly same as the one Duke posted, should be here in couple of days. Decided if I'm doing a full restore, why not follow others expert advise and change the rears to disc's. Fathers day here tomorrow, wonder if I'll get a call? (have 5 sons)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steven,

While rear discs are nice to have, it would be better to upgrade the fronts. they do most of the stopping. Dale A offers an upgrade kit that fits inside stock wheels, or if you go to 15" wheels you can get an even more powerful setup.

steven

Gold forum user
I am progressing slowly, the latest job was dropping the front end and dissasembling it. Found another reason the Tiger had so many previous prangs. The brake line to the left front brake had been disconnected and squashed flat. What a dum thing to do, driving a Tiger with 1 front brake and I havn't looked at the rears yet. Also picked up a engine stand from evilbay rated at 560KG should handle the 260. Hopfully will have the engine out in the next week or two then the Tiger gets up in the air on the rotisseri for major body panel replacement. Longish term project will post some piccies when I think I have something worth showing.:D