B9471122 rebirth

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Congrats on your restoration progress. Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

steven

Gold forum user
Oh boy, spent the last few days, cleaning the entire front end. I know I shoud have done this a few years ago but now its done. Next started at the heater core and fresh air flap unit. Then had an idea to start fitting the grommets to the firewall. Well that took most of the day and I am only half way. Who decided to make the grommets so tight and for a old fella to go upside down to fit them. insert smiley while I go to bed.:rolleyes::cool::eek::D

steven

Gold forum user
There will always be slight hicups during a full rebuild. Some are not expected and can ruin your day. Like today, I have turned the tiger around so I can work on the rear. On fitting the " SUNBEAM" letters to the trunk I opened the "complete set of letters" bought from a chap in La Mesa, Cal. back on the 8th of July 2012. Every letter was carefully wrapped in tissue paper. So were the 2 letters that had NO prongs on the back.
I have his name and address etc, but whats the point, he knew he was sending me a dud set. Now I have to buy another full set to replace the dud ones.
I hope he is a forum member and reads thisBng

dude234

Gold forum user
Yeah, I've been burned a couple of times buying parts that aren't what they were claimed to be. Another member of the club!:rolleyes:

steven

Gold forum user
Have moved on, with a major rebuild there are shore to be minor problems. Today I was fitting the fuel tanks and found the right side bracket that holds the rear of the tank to the body was about 3mm to long. Auuuugh now cutted and will weld tomorrow.We progress

steven

Gold forum user
Now I spent hours trying to fit the door glass winders. the parts had evidence of previuos bolt mountings. but would not mate up to the doors.
Finally had a senior moment, I had forgot the doors were replaced in the rebuild with series V doors, different mechs. AAAAAAgh, one door has a working window, will fit the guide channels tomorrow.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steven,

Did you replace one door or both... ?

If you have early round doors on one side snd a modified square corner on the other the window winders will be at different heights when you look inside the car... Maybe take the matching mechanism and make them both the same. The later ones moved the handle up to get it further from the handbrake when cranking it.

steven

Gold forum user
Hi Michael, both doors were replaced in the rebuild. Now that I remember that I can adapt the remaining window mech to fit the later door. Its just another pain with this major project.

steven

Gold forum user
The saga goes on. A forum member kindly posted me the letters used to lable the dash switches. I retrieved the dash from the 2 pac painters that are applying the clearcoat. Carefully applied the three labels and returned the dash to the painters. Have not heard from them for 2 weeks so rang them. Oh the lables have fallen off somwhere and they cannot find them. With no replacements easily available the dash will be clearcoated wihtout the labels.:mad:

steven

Gold forum user
Now end of July, door glass LHD in, working well. RHD door glass is now out for the 5th time. This is after it seemed to be fine so I fitted the front trangular glass, the top seals (UG) and the front and rear glass guides. Then found the glass jammed in the almost down position and would not move.Bng

So trangular window out, glass guides out, top seals out againBng
Am going to a Jazz event this weekend so that bloody door can wait till next week.

PS, motor has transmission attached, looking good.

steven

Gold forum user
Now serious

Have now fiited the front power steering rack and have clearence. Will attempt the fitting of the motor and transmission next week.:------
Finally have the doors working and the door locks with 1 key for the whole car

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Keys

Have now fiited the front power steering rack and have clearence. Will attempt the fitting of the motor and transmission next week.:------
Finally have the doors working and the door locks with 1 key for the whole car

Steven: There is a gentleman in Maryland who has a large inventory of original Rootes keys & key codes. Some worn & well experience while other are uncut. Not cheap, but he has found good quality correct old stock for my projects. I'll look up his info if you are interested in having more than one original key.