Finally out of the shop

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I got B9471705 out of the shop today, took it for it's first drive in over a year, the first real drive other than on to the trailer and around parking lots since completing (well, almost completing, is it ever really done?) the renovation. The car runs and drives great, the 331 I got from Maliburevue Gary runs like a champ, and Dale's front suspension drives like a Cadillac. I'm very happy with the Wilwood 4 wheel disc brakes with the Ford Courier master cylinder - stops great and definitely doesn't need power brakes, and I like the safety of a dual circuit system.
I did get several things backwards: 1st gear is 2nd gear and 2nd gear is 1st gear... guess I put that shift arm on upside down! Also, the main electric fan is blowing the wrong way, which is quite effective at reducing the cooling from taking place at road speeds. The aux fan also comes on first (good thing since it's the only one going the right direction) and the main fan second, I was sure I'd hooked up the relays correctly but obviously I didn't. All in all a promising test for being ready to drive to Santa Maria in June! I'm now down to a single page list of things to fix.
Bob K.
B9471705

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That's great news Bob! When you get a chance, could you post some pix? I'm very curious about your courier master cylinder install.. Looking forward to seeing it in June.

Congrats! -Kevin

pappentl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I concur on the pictures! Also, would you mind posting the part number for the master cylinder? Since I'm starting from the ground up a dual MC seems the way to go.

Tom

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There are several

I concur on the pictures! Also, would you mind posting the part number for the master cylinder? Since I'm starting from the ground up a dual MC seems the way to go.

Tom

Dorman M100760 , Centric 130.45501 , and A1 Cardone 13-1777

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
Awesome. I'm around four months behind you. Still wishing upon wishes that I'd be ready for Santa Maria. If nothing else, I'll be there as a spectator and look forward to seeing you and your car!
Cheers,

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A longer drive

Today I drove to the gas station to fill it up so I can check the fuel gauge, which still isn't working, determined it's not the gauge, either in the harness or sender, and I checked the sender before installing it.
Cooling works much better with the fan blowing the right direction, hardly comes on at all. Tiger is really fast and I'm going to have a lot of fun driving it! A couple pics attached, I'm not really going for the rat rod look, but I had to put some old rims from my 65 Mustang on it to drive around temporarily while I'm modifying the Shelby 68 GT500KR rims to fit around my Wilwood brakes. Close up pic of the Courier master cylinder, got that from Summit.
Bob K.
B9471705

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the pix Bob. Looks like a real diamond in the rough! I noticed you have 5-bolt all around. Spacing looks really nice! What size tires and wheels will you ultimately wind up with?
Cheers, -Kevn

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wheels

I've always wanted to put a set of the 68 Shelby GT500KR rims on a Tiger - they look great on the car... but the Wilwood brakes don't fit inside them. The Shelby rims are super thick castings and the inside diameter is about what a 14" rim usually is. I'm in the process of cutting the outer portion off the Shelby rims to weld to the inner portion of a modern 15" aluminum rim that does fit over the brakes. Rims are 6" wide. The steel rims in the picture are 5.5 wide stock Ford rims, same backset as the Shelby rims. Front tires are 195/50/15, rear 2015/50/15. I also had Dale make the front end 2" skinnier so the tires don't stick out so far on the front.
Lots of little details left, but I keep chipping away at the list!
Bob K.
B9471705