JAL tag punches?

PITT40

Gold forum user
I did not realize that the the JAL tag was aluminum. I figured it was steel because it was painted. I made a huge mistake of hitting it with a course wire brush while stripping the paint. It has deep scratches and wiped a letter and/or number or two and made the others hard to read. Does anyone have a set of stamps to recreate it? I can always turn it over and stamp the other side, rather than try to sand the front side smooth again. Or if someone knows where I can buy a stamp set that matches, then I will go that route. Thanks for answering.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
That's a tough break !!! I wouldn't modify the tag if you can still read
the number no matter how hard it might be to see. Once you restamp something it raises all kinds of red flags. Hopefully you a picture before
you wire brushed it.

Moondoggie

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
jal

Had my car painted over 30 years ago and they painted over everything never spent much time cleaning the jal plate did mark up the vin plate some but destroyed the data plate. Being 30 years ago I did get a replacement plate from SS and not knowing better I removed the original data plate and rivets I did save the original data plate for what it's worth. I agree with Moondoggie,
give it some time leave as is for now work on something else

Warren

Gold forum user
Modified

Pitt's car is heavily modified. A original one hit with a grinder is below par for his project.An Alpine one flipped over and restamped is a good solution. The font is simple guys it's not a vin tag.

tiger260

Gold forum user
Everyone knows your car and everyone now knows what has happened to the tag.

For those reasons I think I'd just leave it alone or at least leave it for a few weeks to give yourself time to avoid a knee jerk decision.

In my opinion, damaged original is better than legible copy.

Any pics of it so we can see what we're talking about?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pitt's car is heavily modified. A original one hit with a grinder is below par for his project.An Alpine one flipped over and restamped is a good solution. The font is simple guys it's not a vin tag.

The JAL tag would be easy to remake... I would not install a flipped alpine one as it suddenly looks like you are hiding a SAL tag that was on the car.

I'd keep original on the car or make a fresh one, not add another cars body tag.just my .02

Warren

Gold forum user
A survey

Of the 2 Alpines I've had the SAL tag when turned over has the same slightly off cut indentation as my MK1. I can see that without my reading glasses.
Pitt it's probably easier to hack one out of hobby aluminum from the local Hobby Lobby then get a Alpine JAL , unless Paul S. would send you one off the car he is parting out now.

I'd bet it takes you a couple tries to get it nice and straight . The Jensen worker who did those tags probably did so before the 2 pint lunch.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
tag

Wasn't the JAL tag installed at Pressed Steel to identify the trimmed out car before it was sent to Jenson for the conversion?

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
tags

according to the UK owners and some west coast owners the bodies were built at Pressed Steel, leaving off alpine body panels that were not needed, trimmed out and then shipped to Jenson for them to install the drive train and other items needed to make it a tiger. isn't the SAL or JAL tag the body number that matched the build sheet at Pressed Steel? does that mean the tag had to be installed at Pressed Steel in order to identify the body. since the VIN tag appears to have been stamped by hand and not reversed stamped by machine as alpine tags were, does that mean the VIN tag was applied at Jenson after the body was converted to a tiger? the photo of the tiger assembly line does show the cars being worked on but they did convert or finish out drive trains on other cars. these photos don't answer my questions.

FYI, I have NOS panels that still have the original part tags on them and the part tag is identical to the JAL/ SAL tags. I also have the tags left over from panels used on some of my cars if someone needs a tag.

Warren

Gold forum user
United

We will have Graham V. at United I'd be happy to ask him your questions.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
tag

warren,
I asked the question the last time I saw him. he recently made it clear recently on the UK tiger face book.

Warren

Gold forum user
Holy Cow

I was trying to stay on topic. I believe all that he "Graham" said in and on his STOC page.

Now back to the thread. Pitt mine had the paint sanded off so even 1 coat of paint seems to fill the numbers and make them illegible.
The car has its original rivets and a early TAC so it bothers me like .001%

rwilli73

New forum user
CAT Member
My JAL tag was missing so I contacted Norman Miller to figure out what the number should be. He put me in touch with Tom Hall at http://www.tigerengineering.net/
He was able to make me a new JAL plate. Now if I only had the correct screws to install it...