Last edited by a moderator:

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
This is where I got the number.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 PM

Bronze Forum Member

Member of C.A.T.

Default KYB Shocks

My front suspension is a little different so I use Qa1's up front but for the rear I use the KYB 743019 AGX Adjustable Gas Shocks.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Old KYB info

Hi Guyz: Does anyone have the KYB shock part numbers for the Tiger? THX

So, a lot of you guys were posting in the late 90's thanks for that. Less thanks though for failing to "close the loop" on info requests like this. :mad:

Here's what I could find as hearsay from 1999...YMMV...

Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 23:32:48 -0400<br>
To: Tigers List References: 1<br>
<br>
I just purchased some KYB shocks for the Tiger. The numbers are: Front-KG4509 Rear-KG5522.KYB Price-$40.00 each. The shocks are gas charged at about 200 psi. Lifetime warranty. The front shocks require a larger lower mounting bolt. They are white in color.<br>
<br>
Chris in Trinidad<br>

Subject: Re: Shocks<br>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 14:30:19 -0700<br>
To: richards@northcoast.com, Tigers List<br>

I just called KYB. Those front shocks were for a Dodge Dart, and their full compression is 9.5. The stock compression on the Alpine anyway (I am assuming they are the same) is 8.875. They had two other shocks listed that compress enough, and extend enough: KG4507 - compress 8.14;, extend 12.28; KG4605A- compress 8.26;, extend 12.4; Stock extension is 12.125; The 4605A is about 30% softer than the 4507. He thought the 4605A would be firmer than stock on the Alpine, the 4507 might be too stiff, but would be fine for the Tiger. The 4605A has a bottom steel sleeve that is 1.5; long, with a 12mm ID. The 4507 has a bottom steel sleeve that is 1.5; long, with a 7/16; ID. I easily pressed my stock sleeves into other shocks. It can probably be done here. On the rubber bushings on top, he said their rubber bushings on top would probably be undersized for either the Tiger or Alpine. He suggested picking up some stepped urethane mounts which are supposedly generally available. For the rears 5522, those compress to 13.03; and extend to 21.3;. Stock is 12.5; and 20.25, respectively. There is also KG4762 that compress to 13.6 and extend to 21.73. I forgot to ask about the respective pressures on the rear shocks. Remember that although you probably won't extend a shock when driving, you will do so when jacking up the car. So your entire suspension will be hanging by your shocks. I have Monroe 2067 on my fronts and Gabriel 42340 Red Ryder on the rears. They are a bit soft.<br>
<br>
Jay P.S. Their number in Chicago is 800 592-2677.<br>
<br>
Jay Laifman 05/03/99 08:56 AM<br>

Well, you asked for numbers... you didn't specify that they needed to be good numbers. 8-P

Please let us know if you can close the loop... The guy searching for shocks in 2032.. his $350,000 Tiger needs them.

mwood

Gold forum user
I know this is about KYB...and I'm sure folks may be perfectly happy with KYB's...and no one asked my opinion ;)...but, spending a little more for a quality damper is always money well spent, imho. While I have a long term relationship with KONI and typically look to them or Penske for the race cars, anything that has more sophisticated valving (particularly given the KYB "gas ajust" is very non linear in bump and isn't even valved for our cars, to begin) and is rebuildable/"revalvable" is a better bet. ymmv :)

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
And Moreover

I know this is about KYB...and I'm sure folks may be perfectly happy with KYB's...and no one asked my opinion ;)...but, spending a little more for a quality damper is always money well spent, imho. While I have a long term relationship with KONI and typically look to them or Penske for the race cars, anything that has more sophisticated valving (particularly given the KYB "gas ajust" is very non linear in bump and isn't even valved for our cars, to begin) and is rebuildable/"revalvable" is a better bet. ymmv :)

You are correct: But the customer wants to spend his money his way . . . . .

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You are correct: But the customer wants to spend his money his way . . . . .

Spax adjustable shocks are available, made for the car and are fairly priced for what you get ... Or could use the CAT ordered edelbrock shocks if there are sets left.