Correct speedometer cable length & gears Mk1a

Cdntiger

Gold forum user
Hi,
Morris at West Valley Instruments is rebuilding my speedometer, he is also going to make me a reverse spiral cable to help minimize the amount of oil that gets drawn up to the speedometer.
The million dollar question is what is the correct length cable for a Mk1a cable?
Secondly, I'll change the two plastic drive gears at the same time, my car has stock diff and 175/70/13 radials, what gears?

Many thanks,

Paul

Warren

Gold forum user
Length

77 3/4 inner cable length. I think the CAT parts still has some. As for gears I recall 12 teeth on pinion . I gave one I had to Jim as he was in need. I understand that they may be hard to get.

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
1st thing to do is a Search using "speedometer gear".....................

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Which Gears?

Hi,
Morris at West Valley Instruments is rebuilding my speedometer, he is also going to make me a reverse spiral cable to help minimize the amount of oil.

The million dollar question is what is the correct length cable for a Mk1a cable?

Secondly, I'll change the two plastic drive gears at the same time, my car has stock diff and 175/70/13 radials, what gears?

Paul,
Are you asking about the plastic gears internal to the speedo or the plastic gear on the end of the cable? I thought the cable had a plastic gear at the tranny end only. Assuming you mean the gears inside the speedo, are they missing in your speedo? Can Morris simply count the teeth to determine which ones you need. Per some info from Ron F., the odometer gear for Smith/Jaeger speedometers is available at http://odometergears.com for $25. Three different number of teeth gears are available—20, 25, and 32. You can also contact them at (757) 771-6694.

Good luck!

Cdntiger

Gold forum user
Thanks for the great feedback guys. :cool:
I'm looking for the transmission end drive gear, I'll do some research as recommended.

Paul

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
drive gear

if your looking for the drive gear the mounts on the trans main shaft(green) I have 10 of them- if this helps-Bryan

Warren

Gold forum user
Found another

At 53.5" and I really don't recall how many teeth pinion had. Plus I do not recall how long CAT ones are.

Cdntiger

Gold forum user
if your looking for the drive gear the mounts on the trans main shaft(green) I have 10 of them- if this helps-Bryan
Dropped you a PM Bryan.

At 53.5" and I really don't recall how many teeth pinion had. Plus I do not recall how long CAT ones are.

Not sure I understand Warren, what is 53.5"? I thought you had said 77 3/4" for the inner cable length?

Thanks,

Paul