Driveshaft bolts

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I can't seem to find my Mk 1 Tiger driveshaft bolts. They've been out for 30 years now and I can't seem to find that plastic bag that should be marked "DRIVESHAFT BOLTS". Also can't find a reference on the forum, nor are they listed on Jensen's 2002 version of the Tiger Bolt List. I am assuming they are 5/16 x 1, fine thread, grade 8 with a washer and nylock nut.
Can anyone confirm or correct my assumptions?

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Driveshaft Bolt Size

John,

Section PF of the Sunbeam Parts List Supplement for the 260 and 289, there are two bolts listed for "Propellor shaft to coupling driver". It appears that they are alternatives - you can use either one maybe.

19106103 Bolt, 3/8" x U.N.F. X 1-1/4"
9003069 Bolt, 3/8" x U.N.F. X 1-1/8"

Good luck in getting your car back together!

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nut and Washer

John,

I forgot to give you the info on the washer and nut. Citing the same source, here is what is listed:

9664243 Washer, 3/8" shakeproof
9510163 Nut, 3/8" UNF.

Having a lock nut or using Locktite would seem to make sense.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bolt Shoulder

Just an FYI for you. The smooth portion of the bolt shoulder that you choose should be long enough so that the stress from the twisting flanges is on the bolt's shoulder and NOT THE THREADS. Threading will both collapse over use and actually file the holes oblong. Just sayin'

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
oneoffive, holycat; Thanks for the good info. But, I'm thinking the bolt should be fine threads... does that sound correct?

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Threads

You are correct. The U.N.F in the bolt size means the threads are fine.

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
David, You know.... I knew that... I just forgot that I knew it! Thanks for the reminder. age sucks!:rolleyes:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not Unusual

John,

It's one of those things that a lot of people overlook. And, yes, age sucks. But it beats the alternative.

Later!