Mercury Capri Calipers for Tiger

Tim Gibbs

Bronze forum user
I have found several cross references about using either 1970 or 1971 Mercury Capri front brake calipers for the Tigers. Has anyone done this? I noticed there is different part numbers listed for the 70 and 71 Capri models? Just seeing what my options are. Currently Autozone is out of stock of either caliper but list having them for 30 buck each with core......

Tim

Tim Gibbs

Bronze forum user
Capri calipers

What i have learned is the 1970 capri calipers due cross ref for the tiger but are just as high as the P16 replacments....the 1971 are cheaper but not sure about if they would work....i sent an email to Cardone to ask what the diff was between the two.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tim,, If you look at the SAOCA site this was discussed a while back.. there was also an aftermarket Mi16 outlaw (IIRC) caliper for those cars that would bolt right up.

Are you buying these to avoid rebuilding the stock setup?

Tim Gibbs

Bronze forum user
Calipers

I have 2 sets of stock calipers....three out of four pistons are hopelessly stuck. I spent probably 5 hours messing with them...compressed air grease....PB blaster..and thought if it was cheap easier and professionally rebuilt why not....

steven

Gold forum user
I used Peargot 206 brembo discs and calipers, with a small bolt spacer they bolt straight up. Check the Brits Tiger site.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for Sharing!

Just went to finally install them with my suspension rebuild and the C-C mounting distance that s/b 3.25" is 3.5"............

Norm - Real bummer! That's too bad. We really appreciate your sharing this info. Hopefully it will stop someone else from making a $198 error. Thanks for posting!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
calipers

I bought the Cardone calipers for the Capri. Part # 19-244 and #19-245. They are the same on the bolt pattern but these have small ears on the inside of both halves that prevent them from sliding over the rotor. I cut these ears off and the left side is now mounted. I'm going to remove it and rebuild a set of calipers from my stock. Brake line threads in the Capri caliper are metric so I picked up a set of adaptors from Bob's Brake Lines in Cincinnati to eliminate that problem. Other than the extra ears they look identical to the Sunbeam unit.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Why Go Back to Stock?

I bought the Cardone calipers for the Capri. Part # 19-244 and #19-245. They are the same on the bolt pattern but these have small ears on the inside of both halves that prevent them from sliding over the rotor. I cut these ears off and the left side is now mounted. I'm going to remove it and rebuild a set of calipers from my stock. Brake line threads in the Capri caliper are metric so I picked up a set of adaptors from Bob's Brake Lines in Cincinnati to eliminate that problem. Other than the extra ears they look identical to the Sunbeam unit.

I was just wondering what lead you to the decision to go back to the stock calibers after buying the Cardones and modifying them to fit?

It is nice that you let people know what it takes to fit the Cardones and listed the appropriate part numbers. Thanks for sharing!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
calipers

There's an old saying in these hills. " A happy wife makes for a happy life". Since the car belongs to her and Doug rebuilt a late cross member for it she decided we need to use what was original. Her comment was something like "They had to be modified to make them fit so will everything else work right". Time to do some rebuilding. She just said something about not wanting to do more work on the fiber glass part of the car if a brake problem were to pop up.

Last edited:

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Girling changed the bolt centres as you have discovered and we need the earlier version. I have a big Healey and it the same as the Tiger, as are a lot of Girling brakes of the same era

I have freed impossibly stuck pistons using a steel line x zerk fitting and lots of grease gun pressure. Be sure to get all the grease out when done

Pug callipers are next to impossible to find this side of the pond

I am sure it is written here, but back in the day we used 240Z pads as the corners are filled in yielding about 20% greater surface area.

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Going to have my originals rebuilt now.

Girling changed the bolt centres as you have discovered and we need the earlier version. I have a big Healey and it the same as the Tiger, as are a lot of Girling brakes of the same era

I have freed impossibly stuck pistons using a steel line x zerk fitting and lots of grease gun pressure. Be sure to get all the grease out when done

Pug callipers are next to impossible to find this side of the pond

I am sure it is written here, but back in the day we used 240Z pads as the corners are filled in yielding about 20% greater surface area.

steven

Gold forum user
The Brembo duel piston calipers from a Pug 206 coupe option is discussed on the Brits tiger forum. With a spacer the disc and calipers from Brembo fit the Tiger

Hoghead

Gold forum user
The Brembo duel piston calipers from a Pug 206 coupe option is discussed on the Brits tiger forum. With a spacer the disc and calipers from Brembo fit the Tiger

Very difficult to find in N America as are the 4 piston Pug Brembos

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Apple Hydraulics rebuilt my originals, $195 + postage, 11 day mail-mail turnaround.....they look great.

Just went to finally install them with my suspension rebuild and the C-C mounting distance that s/b 3.25" is 3.5"............