LED lights???

wag123

Gold forum user
Duke, you are on the right track with the diode idea. Those replacement LEDs should have had a diode built into them to prevent the problem you are having. You should use Schottky diodes so that the LED brightness is not reduced as much (they have 1/4 the voltage drop that regular diodes have).

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Another issue I am having is that my cruise control now will not work with the LED brake lights. Still scratching head on that one.

67MKII

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That's how Duke gets those consistent times at the strip - Line lock at the start, cruise control at the finish.

John

ahetzel

Gold forum user
Need to tell you that I purchased a complete set of LED exterior lights from Joe Parlanti and everything works great. It included:

2, Red CREE 1157 bulbs for brake / running lights 2, Red or Amber CREE 1156 bulbs for turn signal 2, 64 SMD bulbs for front turn signal 2, T10 bulbs for front running lights 2, BA7s bulbs for the high beam and turn signal indicators 1, Flasher relay

Grounding is key. Until I re-grounded my drivers side front running light/turn signal fixture, there was a problem but that fixed it. Joe's kit is complete. Highly recommended.

Arnie

Here is his information

Joseph V. Parlanti
16048 Copen Meadow Dr
North Potomac, Md. 20878
Cell - 410-599-5475
Email - jvparlanti@gmail.com
http://velocesolutionsllc.com/

Warren

Gold forum user
Great guy

Tiger owner and member of TEAE and hopefully soon CAT Vendor:------

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I will also speak for the quality of Joe's lights and kits.
He has donated several light sets for door prizes at the TE/AE United next week too! Thanks Joe. Eric

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My issue to resolve with the Red CREE 1157 bulbs

Need to tell you that I purchased a complete set of LED exterior lights from Joe Parlanti and everything works great. It included:

2, Red CREE 1157 bulbs for brake / running lights 2, Red or Amber CREE 1156 bulbs for turn signal 2, 64 SMD bulbs for front turn signal 2, T10 bulbs for front running lights 2, BA7s bulbs for the high beam and turn signal indicators 1, Flasher relay

Grounding is key. Until I re-grounded my drivers side front running light/turn signal fixture, there was a problem but that fixed it. Joe's kit is complete. Highly recommended.

Arnie

Here is his information

Joseph V. Parlanti
16048 Copen Meadow Dr
North Potomac, Md. 20878
Cell - 410-599-5475
Email - jvparlanti@gmail.com
http://velocesolutionsllc.com/

I bought the same kit and the tail lights would not burn with the brake light wires connected. I tried a Sylvania #1157 LED bulb to see how they work and the problem went away but they just weren't as bright as the CREE. I did some testing on the CREE bulbs and found the following: With the bulb grounded and 12 volts applied to the parking light contact only, .77 (point seven seven) volts appear at the stop light contact. With 12 volts applied to the stop light contact only, 11 (eleven) volts appear at the parking light contact. I isolated my third brake light from the LED brake lights with a relay to solve my problem. I assume the issue is typical of the CREE LED bulbs and I like the extra brightness.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
lights

you should have contacted joe when you discovered the problem. your car may have other wiring problems and he could help you find the problem.

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
checking the bulbs on the bench

you should have contacted joe when you discovered the problem. your car may have other wiring problems and he could help you find the problem.

I did contact Joe with the problem and he hadn't seen this issue before. He offered to take the kit back but I decided to work on a fix so I could keep the brightness of his LED's. My test results were achieved by checking the bulbs on the bench and not connected in any way to the car. I replaced the wiring harness 3 years ago with a kit from http://www.petesperformancewiring.com and haven't had a single issue.

Warren

Gold forum user
Connections

So the P.O. installed some LED's in my driver and I was fiddling under the dash adding a voltmeter from Paul B. an oops one pulled apart.

My introduction to these thing was with 6 volt vehicles with weak electrical systems. So what I was faced with was a home brew old brass incandescent bulb base with the glass and filament removed and the LED and a small plastic sleeve dropped on top and soldered together.

So if you have these types they can be rather fragile and come apart like mine did. Still having my trusty Weller gun it was no problem to save the 5 or 6 dollar bulb :)

When I see the others I will add a drop or two of hot glue so they won't come apart.

I do not know who made up the bulbs in my car, but the P.O. did own a hardware store which normally should raise an eyebrow:cool:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When I see the others I will add a drop or two of hot glue so they won't come apart.

I don't have any LED bulbs, but if I did I would check to make sure they don't run hot. Otherwise, the hot glue might drip off them onto something not needing hot glue. Is 2 part epoxy non-conductive?

Warren

Gold forum user
Not hot

Doh, I was out between the rain showers yesterday and left the parking lamps on. Had I normal bulbs I would have never known as I came back home 30 hours later saying what's that glow in the garage, whoops. Had I of had filament bulbs the battery would be totally flat, but I turned on headlights and wow still strong, but put on the battery tender for good measure. By the nature the diodes seem to not make much heat at all. I have had filament bulbs get hot and met their nearby lenses, but not on Sunbeams.

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Parlanti's LEDs

I have to put a plug in for TEAE Joe Parlanti's LEDs.

I drove the Tiger for it's first drive, to get the front end aligned, after it's long 30+ sleep.:D

I had a fellow Tiger guy VACAT33 behind me to/fro to protect me from the crazy DC drivers and get me to/fro the shop and he said that they were very visible during the daylight.

Car drives great except that I need to adjust the linkage as I only had 2 fwd gears. Didn't need to get to third test driving in the alley.

Was running a little warm, so will check the real temp w/ infared gun. Will install my narrow pulley from Gary and see what that does.

gregory schumacher

Bronze forum user
led lights

Duke the led light is polarity sensitive. All of the tigers bulbs are set up so that polarity isn't a problem except the parking bulbs. Remove their lens turn on the lights and turn one bulb at a time around until polarity is corrected. These bulbs just push in so its a 50/50 proposition. Induction causes them to be lit when other circuits are energized not a hard wire problem. Mine did the same and I corrected .Greg