Suspension set up

EvertonTiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Guys

Just picked the tiger up.

The garage has set the suspension, with the following comments. What do you think?

We have quite a lot lean in on the left hand side (>5mm rim bottom to rim top) with no shims and on the right hand side three shim plates (aprox 5.4mm or 3.5/16”) to match this.

Do you know if we shim up top is usually enough to achieve the castor or if I will have to shim the wedge as well. Any insights?

"Your car has quite bit of negative camber on the left hand side that we cannot do anything about, It is about 5mm lean in at the top of the rim, newer understood cosinus and sinus, so I cannot tell you the degrees.

This is quite a lot for a road car and thus the guys doing it last time had to put a lot of shims in at the right side to set up both sides similarly. The more shims, the more lean in! On normal cars it is the other way around, but with the Tiger the fulcrum shaft runs behind the crossmember post. Took me a while to get that into my head.

So we will be stuck with more negative Camber than desirable or than Dale suggested, turn in will be a bit more aggressive than with ordinary cars, but that will suit the chosen tyres just fine.

It is really your crossmember, not a lot we can do. All relevant weak links are eliminated, both sides have new bushes to and bottom, the difference must be in the crossmember. In the Forum they state that these sack under the v8 weight and this would result in more preset camber

Also, Caster can be altered the same way, you put a spacer shim, not a spacer plate, in between the back bolt of the fulcrum shaft and the crossmember, thus achieving a bit more tilt of the hub carrier to the rear and this increases your caster. On normal cars that is not possible as the fulcrum shaft is usually parallel to the car axis. With the Tiger it is aprox. 20 to 30 degrees toe out, thus even more toe out by shimming it means more degrees out and more Caster. Strange setup really, but I will manage hopefully. Should the Caster be really out, you can unbolt the complete crossmember that is sitting on an aluminum wedge to the frame as to tilt it in itself. You can alter that wedge by shimming it front or rear, but that is a bigger job and will not be possible tomorrow. So hopefully shimming the fulcrum and setting the track will be enough."

Any ideas?

Thanks Guys!

Sean

mwood

Gold forum user
Time to square up the crossmember and reinforce. What you're seeing is a common issue and the only way to fix is to get the crossmember out of the car and send it to someone like Tom Hall, who has the jigs/fixtures and procedures to remedy.

Warren

Gold forum user
Too far

Mike he's way too far away.
He'd be better of to have Dale send him a bare but repaired take off rather then ship back and forth.

EvertonTiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Dales suspension

Guys

As the car is none stock and I have it in Germany as my daily drive, I've decide to buy Dales new system.

So now need advice on tsking old one off and replacing.

I've had some bad experiences with two garages in Germany really charging the earth for simple work so I'm contemplating doing it myself.

I'm an engineer but it's been twenty years since a car rebuild, so really could do with advice on how to do it and what I need.

My garage has bot pit so I'll need to get trolley jacks and the likes and then need to know where best to support the car etc.

I saw a video for engine removal but cannot download in Germany due to some music infringement so references rite now are pretty few and far between.

Sean

steven

Gold forum user
I have a non mechanical garage however it is easy to lift your car with jacks and when done so it is easy to lift or lower the engine,also with the gearbox.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sean,
I have pulled my crossmember twice and while not simple, it's very doable with just a few jack stands and a floor jack. Put the stands under the forward extremes of the X frame and all will be good. Disconnect the brakes and steering linkage and offer a floor jack, or if you can find one an ATV jack, and unfasten the fours bolts.
I am unfamikiar with Dales front end but only hear good things about it. I would imagine that he will provide any assistance required for installation.
Cheers, - Kevin

EvertonTiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the help guys. Perversely, I am looking forward to it.

I love the car to bits but I cannot find anyone whom has any idea about them in Germany for love nor money, the latter being the frustration.

Part of the love if this generation of car was the chance for the average joe to have a go and fix them.

As said, mine is so none origional I want to get rid of the pain of the suspension.

Thanks again