California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Tiger Technical - Stock > Body
New Threads

Old 03-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Default Hard top restore

I have stumbled on or in a haze of OCDended up with 4 hardtops. 1 came on a SV that may get parted or left sans rat poo rat sort of rod.

Anyway to the questions and comments.

Replace Jute padding and 14" x 14" tar with real sound proofing like used on floors? Thinking of the Dyna Mat roofing like material and a modern foam under head liner .... Suggestions?

One to be restored with the glass windows one with a stock plastic set.

Probably do metal work on other two and sell on.

Last edited by Warren; 03-11-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:24 AM
Forum Member

Default Hard top restore

Around Christmas 2012, my project was to restore my Mk1A hardtop with a new headliner. Having used the car occasionally during winter months, with hardtop on, I found the wind/vibration noise unpleasant at speed. Like having ones head in an amplified beehive! I 'Dymnatted' the roof and even put back the jute back as well. In addition, I put a type of cavity foam in the rear pillars. End result for me was absolutely no difference at all. I drove car from Calgary to San Francisco in 2014 and ended up buying ear plugs from the ammunition supply section at a gas station in Montana to make the drive bearable!!
Bugman
Old 03-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Default Jute

Someone asked what I've been smoking not the Jute . I ended up with 4 as two came with cars I bought. 2 were move up to less labor intensive tops. When I can get to a squaring shear and brake I can tackle the other's.

Bugman thanks for your reply. The Dynamat seems a heavier alternative. Possibly the lack of the tar paper was a cheap or weight concern. I'm looking at what I have floating in garage and at the local car and upholstery supply shop although I did look at polystyrene and Home Depot options.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Bronze Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Question

I was told that Dynamat used underneath exposed surfaces (like a roof) to the sun can cause some kind of shrinkages or other problems with paint, etc. Don't know from experience. Cliff
Old 03-12-2017, 07:28 AM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFF_MK1 View Post
I was told that Dynamat used underneath exposed surfaces (like a roof) to the sun can cause some kind of shrinkages or other problems with paint, etc. Don't know from experience. Cliff

Message from a friend who does body and paint work -
"No paint issues. But you open yourself up to the chance of the dynamat peeling from the roof and ruining the headliner"