California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Tiger Technical - Personalized/Modified > Engine
New Threads

Old 03-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Forum Member

Default Tiger intake

Searching the threads about intake manifold choices, am a bit confused. I see the new low rise "Tiger" manifold for about $550 on ebay. Can I assume this is the Blue Thunder manufactured manifold? There seems to be one listed as low rise, and another as high rise by Blue Thunder. Tried to open pictures, but could not. There is a thread discussing manifold choices, but could not open those pictures. Does the low rise Tiger one work well? Saw good recommendations for the high rise, and available through Bill Martin, for a higher flowing engine. Seem to remember the original Tiger manifold was not felt to be much better than the cast iron Ford one. Thanks, David
Old 03-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default Try Opening the Photos Twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeam View Post
Tried to open pictures, but could not. There is a thread discussing manifold choices, but could not open those pictures.
For some reason, I have to open the attached photos twice before I can see them. I am using Internet Explorer. If there is a single photo attached to a post, I click to open, but the photo does not show up - just a dark window where the photo should be. I then click on the small x in the corner to make the small window go away. Then I click on the attached photo again, and this time it does open and I can see the photo.

When there are multiple photos, I click on the first, which does not open. I then click on the NEXT button and cycle through all the photos. When the last photo does not appear, I click on the FIRST button, and the first photo now shows. When I click on the NEXT button, I do see the next photo.

I don't know why it takes two times to see an attached photo, but this workaround does work for me. I don't know if this is your problem. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Silver Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default Intake

Hi David, I am currrently running a "Tiger" low rise, it looks identical to a mid sixties cast iron Ford 4 barrel, only in aluminum with Tiger on the front runner. It works very well on my engine. Bill Martin sells the "Tiger" high rise, and looks identical to the Blue Thunder version, you can tell this as it has an extra strengthening rib on each side where the bolt holes go, and F4B doesn't have this and is a snick taller than the F4B. The Tiger hi rise will fit under the stock hood as I have seen them being used on cars at shows. If you search some of the Shelby GT350 forums under intakes, the hi rise that what was used on those cars were the same as the Blue Thunder intakes with various names like COBRA, FORD, SHELBY, TIGER and a few others. There is a thread on a Shelby forum that states that the period Hi rise used on the Shelby's were made by Offenhauser and there is a stamp on the underside that identifies this. I'm sure they would breath better and would be more suited to higher RPM's . Having said this, there are many selections of intakes that other Tiger owners use, and owners would say why they use them on their particular engine build. There are many factors involved and a few things to think about with this choice, coupled with carb size, cam grind, heads and so on. Some people like period speed parts and some like a more modern approach. I hopes this helps narrow down your choice.
Brian
Old 03-12-2017, 06:03 PM
Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Default Why are you changing manifolds?

I ask because when modifying your engine? The intake manifold is not to be considered on it's own. The first question is what kind of driving you do. Second how does that translate to engine tuning. Not just setting the timing but your intake components need to be compatible.

In general if you are looking for horsepower? That will require a large bore carburetor, a cam that features a power peak something beyond 6,000 rpm and a free flowing exhaust.

Be honest. If you are looking at the manifold for "show" or if you will be driving conservatively? go for a low rise manifold. As a bonus.. the correct tiger script manifold was LAT listed and so is considered "stock".

Rick
Old 03-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Unobtanium Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

The tiger low rise rates reasonably well for street motors. This intake comparison used the tiger low rise as the representative for the period ford 4b setup.

To 3250rpm it actually outperforms the larger runner f4b and cobra style intakes... Which is generally where we do our driving.

http://carbdford.com/fletch/tech/intakes/intakes.htm

Michael King
1963 Alpine SII 1996>
1964 Tiger MKI 2009
1965 Alpine SIVGT 1994>
1965 Tiger MKI 2009-2012
1966 Tiger MKIA 2006>
Old 03-13-2017, 03:40 AM
Forum Member

Thanks for all the great info, it is amazing what accumulated wisdom is on this forum. Am looking for a driveable engine, with focus on torque not maximum power. The low rise seems right to me. David
Old 03-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default manifold

The low rise also gives you the added space for a much needed heat spacer between manifold and carburetor.