Vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug C

Gold forum user
That would be a long term member Al, He makes a lot of little bits with his son. His daughter takes care of the eBay sales. I asked him a long time ago to join forum in vendor section. Many of us know seller's eBay names and our former member Paul Scofield created a thread so that members could cut out paying eBay as the middleman. Vendors have several choices free White pages listing, Vendor forum, or eBay and their 12.9%. I didn't get him cause his daughter would never call me back . We talked on several occasions, he has 2 Tigers and is in Florida and in your CAT roster.

Maybe someone can answer this for me — why don’t we allow anyone who is making or has bonifide Tiger parts for sale just post it on the CATS site? I am thinking that one of the purposes of this club is to help keep Tigers stay or get on the road. Also part of this club should be to assist others find what they need to accomplish this task.

Maybe the club is making to much money off the vendor fees and just doesn’t want to give that up or we are just doing it because that’s the way its be done for a while or so.

Whatever the reason lets be transparent about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
[
Maybe the club is making to much money off the vendor fees and just doesn’t want to give that up or we are just doing it because that’s the way its be done for a while or so.

Whatever the reason lets be transparent about it.

Doug, i dont think CAT are making much in terms of fees from.vendors. There is a free section for hobby people to post and a paid section for professionals.

I agree we all want knowledge about good quality parts anvd availability, but if someone is doing the parts for a living and using the club as a free advertisement or not joining as a member then the very forum they are profiting from is not being funded.

Just my .02

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I would think that if they are a paying member then they should be able to post parts.... just my 2 cents.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Doug, i dont think CAT are making much in terms of fees from.vendors. There is a free section for hobby people to post and a paid section for professionals.

I agree we all want knowledge about good quality parts anvd availability, but if someone is doing the parts for a living and using the club as a free advertisement or not joining as a member then the very forum they are profiting from is not being funded.

Just my .02

I'm a 'hobby' vendor and basically have a few parts made hopefully 'for the love/presevation of the marque' ( and to help fund my 'Tiger' habit :rolleyes: ) but CAT does charge me for that over and above being a CAT club member ... :confused:

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I would think that if they are a paying member then they should be able to post parts.... just my 2 cents.

I think Bruce makes an excellent point here. Perhaps someone can propose a resolution to allow this at a board meeting?

-Kevin

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think Bruce makes an excellent point here. Perhaps someone can propose a resolution to allow this at a board meeting?

-Kevin

So if a manager of Victoria British or Moss motors became a member they can start advertising?

I think there is a difference between a commercial entity, hobby vendor and someone just selling surplus parts.... Again just my .02.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm not on the CAT board nor am I now an officer. But I've been around this issue for years. Too many. I may not get this right and will probably get corrected but I'll do my best off the top of my head.

The anti-commercial policy evolved first in response to abuse. Some members were turning posts into a series of ads for products they were associated with. I won't name names nor the products being offered but it became a problem when the same "information" was announced time after time or somehow worked into posts. The club never had a problem with legitimate announcements but in my eyes an announcement becomes a commercial after it has been repeated a number of times.

Some wanted alternatives to the club's anti-commercial policy. So a "white page" section was set up to present a short description of a vendor, the parts offered and contact information. I handle that area.

An area was set up for members to advertise parts they have for sale. It's free but intended for short term use. It's free.

Then another area was set up for members who have developed Tiger products and want to offer them for sale on an ongoing basis. This involves a payment to the club.

Finally there's yet another vendor area is for those who run a brick and mortar business and want to run an even fuller ad. This also involves a payment.

This Saturday, a new board gets elected.

I've heard that the old board was recently discussing some of these issues. I don't know if they took any action. There definitely seems to be a feeling by some that all the Forum issues take up too much of the Board's time. At one point years ago (I think I may have been president back then) almost half of the board's time for an entire year was spent developing Forum policies. When we got the policy wrong some members actually quit the club entirely. And I know of one who never came back. Working on policies is rarely fun.

The amount raised by the vendor fees is a blip on the overall club budget.

So CAT members can already post ads for the occasional sale of parts.

However fees are currently required when the sale is ongoing.

Bruce and Doug, do you want this changed?

bt
at the beach

Warren

Gold forum user
Wow

That's a huge story. I'm working on a reply. Since I was there it was my participation in the board mentioned for 2 years as Buck mentioned, plus I've been the one charged with enforcement on the Forum have a pretty unique perspective. I have had to moderate guys tell and tell them no that's not allowed. I have also asked for rule clarification and a frequent poster rule.
I have asked several board members repeatedly for help with this rule for years.

1966 TGR

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This issue is pending board review

This is an important and complex issue and I'm requesting the board to review and seek improvements. In the meantime, thanks for everyone's input. Mike Michels C.A.T. Vice President.

Status
Not open for further replies.