Front Crossmember

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I stripped my front crossmember apart to rebuild and reinforce it. I had the paint and rust removed. took measurements between the shock absorber supports which are spread on the side. Does it look like this has sagged? I am thinking of welding pieces on the sides of the shock supports, along with the seam at the bottom. Also, adding a piece of steel on the open sides of rack mounts. any tips will be appreciated. Bill

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Here's a 35 year old article from Tom Hall in one of my albums on this site... http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/album.php?albumid=54

It shows that measurement across the top and a few strengthening ideas. I know many other on this forum have different ideas on how to best attack the problem and will probably add to this thread...

Last edited by a moderator:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Check Out Tiger Tales Article by Bob Josten

I stripped my front crossmember apart to rebuild and reinforce it. I had the paint and rust removed. took measurements between the shock absorber supports which are spread on the side. Does it look like this has sagged? I am thinking of welding pieces on the sides of the shock supports, along with the seam at the bottom. Also, adding a piece of steel on the open sides of rack mounts. any tips will be appreciated. Bill

Bill,

Bob Josten wrote a nice article with good photos about reinforcing his front crossmember. If you haven't checked it out already, you can read it in the Sept/Oct 2012 edition of the Tiger Tales. Due to the great efforts of various folks, including Duke, to make these available online, you can check out the newsletter on this Forum. Just sign in first and then go to the appropriate part of the members section.

Good Luck!

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Measurement

Thanks for the references. The notes from Tom Hall has his measurement between the shock towers at 28" to 28 3/16ths. My crossmember measures 28" at this point. Which looks good. I have been cutting 1/8" steel,for the reinforcements. I am amazed that this was stick welded together! I will try to spread it out 3/16" before welding. I wonder if any one has welded tubes in to the holes for crossmember bolt holes form the bottom to top. It would be nice to not loose a bolt in the crossmember during installation. Bill

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Internal Bracing

Thanks for the references. The notes from Tom Hall has his measurement between the shock towers at 28" to 28 3/16ths. My crossmember measures 28" at this point. Which looks good. I have been cutting 1/8" steel,for the reinforcements. I am amazed that this was stick welded together! I will try to spread it out 3/16" before welding. I wonder if any one has welded tubes in to the holes for crossmember bolt holes form the bottom to top. It would be nice to not loose a bolt in the crossmember during installation. Bill

Installing "stiff backs" internally from the frame mount plate to the lower fulcrum mount plate is a most significant improvement. Doubling a face plate below the weak steering rack relief cut is also recommended. A small stretching of the tower distance before (during) welding is OK. A front end alignment guy can always shim things in board.

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I wanted to say thanks to Jim, David and Randy for your help with the overhaul of my front suspension. Its been blasted, reinforced, rust removed between the seams, painted, new bearings, shocks, Randy redid the bushings and calipers. There was almost no grease in the wheel bearings and very little oil in the rack. I reinstalled it last weekend. I will go over it with a torque wrench now that there is weight on it. I stared out only wanting to do the brake lines! the old while I'm in there...... it should be safe now. Bill

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lookin' Good

I wanted to say thanks to Jim, David and Randy for your help with the overhaul of my front suspension. Its been blasted, reinforced, rust removed between the seams, painted, new bearings, shocks, Randy redid the bushings and calipers. There was almost no grease in the wheel bearings and very little oil in the rack. I reinstalled it last weekend. I will go over it with a torque wrench now that there is weight on it. I stared out only wanting to do the brake lines! the old while I'm in there...... it should be safe now. Bill

Play Safe . . . . .:rolleyes:

CobraTiger

Silver forum user
Bill,

Bob Josten wrote a nice article with good photos about reinforcing his front crossmember. If you haven't checked it out already, you can read it in the Sept/Oct 2012 edition of the Tiger Tales. Due to the great efforts of various folks, including Duke, to make these available online, you can check out the newsletter on this Forum. Just sign in first and then go to the appropriate part of the members section.

Good Luck!

Can anyone advise how I can access this information. I have my crossmember out, adapting Brembo brakes and Miata power steering (Purists, no offense and you may need to look no further). With the cross member out, I will take the opportunity to strengthen it and have the Tom Hall notes. Would be also interested to review the above mentioned article and any other article that can provide detailed advice. With lockdown in Melbourne, Aust, I need some serious projects to keep the mind occupied.

steven

Gold forum user
I also have gone down the Miata path. With the crossmember, I found using threaded rod of suitable diameter with large square washers it is easy for one person to raise the crossmember to the rails. as it goes up close, each rod can be removed and replaced with the bolt

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tiger Tales in the C.A.T. Member Section

Can anyone advise how I can access this information. I have my crossmember out, adapting Brembo brakes and Miata power steering (Purists, no offense and you may need to look no further). With the cross member out, I will take the opportunity to strengthen it and have the Tom Hall notes. Would be also interested to review the above mentioned article and any other article that can provide detailed advice. With lockdown in Melbourne, Aust, I need some serious projects to keep the mind occupied.

If you are a C.A.T. Member, you can access the CAT Member Area, which is the first of the sections. It is not visible to non-C.A.T. members. The original poster, BillM, is a C.A.T. member. Since this Forum is supported only by C.A.T. members' dues, C.A.T. members are afforded certain extras, such as the CAT Member Area as well as the ability to post new threads in the Marketplace section. For information about C.A.T. membership, you can check out the C.A.T. Home Page. It can be accessed via the link in the blue stripe across the very bottom of the Forum. Or you can click on this link to go straight to C.A.T. membership information - CAT Member Area,.