Dan Walters Torque Arm

WigsTig

Silver forum user
Hello All. If anyone is interested in improving their ability to launch from the stop light, or the start line at the track, here is your chance. I would like to install a Dan Walters' Torque Arm on my car. After exchanging a few emails with Dan, and with his permission of course, please note the following: 1) he needs at least THREE firm orders, with deposits, to warrant production; 2) he is very busy but advised that if ordered today, they could be ready by May/June, just in time for summer fun; 3) $250.00 (a bargain), plus shipping; 4) they arrive unpainted so you can finish them anyway you want. Dan mentioned that the deposits are refundable up until he starts production. I know I'm not the only one who is interested in adding this traction enhancement to my car (Dan told me others have inquired too) so if just two more people step-up, we will be on our way. I believe that if a hand-full of orders came in, Dan would be inclined to have them to us even sooner. Please post back to this message if you wish to pursue and I will provide you with contact info for Dan.

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hello All. If anyone is interested in improving their ability to launch from the stop light, or the start line at the track, here is your chance. I would like to install a Dan Walters' Torque Arm on my car. After exchanging a few emails with Dan, and with his permission of course, please note the following: 1) he needs at least THREE firm orders, with deposits, to warrant production; 2) he is very busy but advised that if ordered today, they could be ready by May/June, just in time for summer fun; 3) $250.00 (a bargain), plus shipping; 4) they arrive unpainted so you can finish them anyway you want. Dan mentioned that the deposits are refundable up until he starts production. I know I'm not the only one who is interested in adding this traction enhancement to my car (Dan told me others have inquired too) so if just two more people step-up, we will be on our way. I believe that if a hand-full of orders came in, Dan would be inclined to have them to us even sooner. Please post back to this message if you wish to pursue and I will provide you with contact info for Dan.

I'd be interested, but going out of town for a week. Will check back when I get home. kbeck

WigsTig

Silver forum user
Hey Warren. I will ask Dan if he has some. In the meantime, perhaps someone who already has one installed will provide (Please). I think Duke posted some recently.
Cheers! Mike

WigsTig

Silver forum user
Hey kbeck;
Thanks a bunch. Look forward to hearing from you upon your return. Safe travels.
Cheers! MIke

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Taaa...Daaaa!

003-6.jpg

004-10.jpg

002-10.jpg

002-9.jpg

038.jpg

037.jpg

036.jpg

035.jpg

Works great, ride will be a bit stiffer though.

Check this recent Ebay auction. Pics with TA are at bottom. - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sunbeam-/261162724351?ViewItem=&item=261162724351&forcev4exp=true

chirodoc

Gold forum user
DW TORQUE ARM

IT WORKS GREAT! No more wheel hop. Drop the clutch @4500 and GO! When you drop the hammer there is some torque steer from the rear end. I have "old" club rubber bushings in the Traction masters. Come summer may play with solid bushings from Traction Master in attempt to eliminate the torque steer at launch.

WigsTig

Silver forum user
You are da man Duke! Many thanks for providing the perfect pictures and for your endorsement of its functionality. Your contributions to this Forum are always so thorough and detailed.

Thank you too Chirodoc for your comments and thumbs-up regarding Dan's Torque Arm. After researching the many different options available to Tiger owners for improving traction from the line, and using Traction Bars with luke-warm results, it was the many owners such as yourself, who have praised Dan's creation, that convinced me to pursue his product.

Dan emailed me this afternoon and OK'd posting his email address so that all interested parties can contact him directly, so here you all go: spmdr@juno.com.

Cheers! Mike

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
IT WORKS GREAT! No more wheel hop. Drop the clutch @4500 and GO! When you drop the hammer there is some torque steer from the rear end. I have "old" club rubber bushings in the Traction masters. Come summer may play with solid bushings from Traction Master in attempt to eliminate the torque steer at launch.

So.. are you saying you're running with a torque arm and Traction Masters...? weld-on ?

interesting...

Jim
B382000446

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I just had my weld on traction bars added last year--can I use those or do they have to come off?

WigsTig

Silver forum user
Hey Jim;
Apologies for the confusion. I used to run bolt-on traction bars but still had wheel hop/diff wind-up problems, so I removed them and started to search for something else. I was familiar with the success some of the production muscle cars had and listened to some of my hot rod buddies who were having great success with torque arm systems so I decided to head in that direction. I had designed something which I thought would work well on my car but learned (through this forum) that it already existed, was reasonably priced but most importantly, was already tested and endorsed by current owners. Rather than try to re-invent the wheel, I decided to go with something already proven, hence my interest in Dan's creation. I am hopeful that enough orders come in and so far, no disappointment. He asked for a minimum of three and I believe there are already two of us confirmed.

Cobrakidz...that's a good question re: traction bars AND the torque arm. Regrettably, I don't have any first hand experience with the weld-on traction bars for Tigers so I'm not sure if having both systems embodied would be overkill or compliment each other. If you are keeping the rubber connected to the road with the traction bars and have no wheel hop or structural issues with the spring attach points or the springs themselves, then it sounds like the weld-ons are working for you. I'm just building my 302 into a 347 roller with an estimated HP bump into the 420+ range (up from 320HP) so my interest in controlling traction is going to be even greater now than before.

Many thanks for expressing your interests and sharing your insights guys.

Cheers! Mike

chirodoc

Gold forum user
DW TORQUE ARM

My car came with weld on Traction Masters. In autocross days I tore both of the front attatchments off from the crossmember. I think the excessive and repeditive wheelhop also contributed to cracked welds on the front spring perch. I haven't got around to removing the Traction Masters yet, but I think that they are not needed, and removal should free up up the rear spring action.

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
Is shipping to Europe an option? I think it's a good option to control my 340 Hp's
And just to be sure: does it fit an MKII with positraction?
Maybe a silly question, but i'm not like Duke ;) Probably the opposite....

WigsTig

Silver forum user
Hey ChiroDoc;
I think your assessment is bang-on re: damage from wheel hop issues. I had similar damage when I had the bolt-on bars; broken front spring mount, cracked spring leaf and ultimately, one of the traction bars sheared off just ahead of the point where it mounted to the spring. The laws of physics certainly support Dan's system as do those (like yourself) who have first hand experience. I can't help but believe that the installation will not only improve traction dramatically but also preserve the structural integrity of the car and lend anti-torque support to the drive train as a whole when under maximum load. As an aside, installation requires no major modification to the car, so for those interested in keeping a stock looking appearance, it'll fit the bill.
Cheers! Mike

WigsTig

Silver forum user
Hey TigerJunC;
With 340HP I agree with you completely. That's a lot of ponies to keep under control. I believe it fits on all Tiger models and know it will work like magic with your posi.
Dan didn't seem to have a problem shipping to anywhere...on this planet anyways. He will likely just ask for your ship-to details to estimate cost. Alternately, you could look at COD for the shipping or if you have a courier (FedEx, UPS, etc.) account, just forward that to him. I chose the courier route for shipping to Canada just so he didn't have to deal with too much paperwork. Feel free to send him a quick email: spmdr@juno.com to confirm the above. He has been quick to respond to messages.
Re: Duke...you are in good company as there are a lot of us who don't measure up to his knowledge and experience. I am grateful that he and others like him provide so much into this Forum and are generous with their time and information. I don't believe in secrets and will always do my best to help others keep their cars safe and on the road. It's very much a community in which I am proud to be a part. (...now, as I step down from my soap box. Ha Ha).
Cheers! Mike

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Thanks guys but you are too kind, I get in my Tiger one leg at a time like everyone else.

I have just broken, bent, twisted, stretched, burnt, overheated...etc. my share of car parts in the past and have tried to learn from the experiences.

WigsTig

Silver forum user
Great! Feel free to contact Dan ...spmdr@juno.com...with your order and he will take it from there.

I believe there are now eight of us on the Order Board and possibly two more signing up next week. The responses have been just fantastic. Thanks a bunch guys. Dan seems pleased that so many owners are keen to install his system.

Cheers! Mike

WigsTig

Silver forum user
Thanks fastcars. You just brought us up to nine. Go ahead and drop Dan a quick email ...spmdr@juno.com... and he'll process your order.

Cheers! Mike