Ball Joint Boots

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes the poor fit is reported on SACOA, and why I ordered from SS
Looks like Sean has tracked down a Moss part that will work, and solve my delivery issue
One of my pet peeves is the quality (lack of) issues with non-vulcanized rubber replacements. Many of these products disintegrate quickly without recourse. Early Tiger steering rack replacement bellows would crack and leak out in under a year. Just sayin'

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes the poor fit is reported on SACOA, and why I ordered from SS
Looks like Sean has tracked down a Moss part that will work, and solve my delivery issue
When ball joint boots or tie rod boots tear and don't seal the joint, contaminates such as dirt, grit, water ,etc are introduced to the joint. Grease is a lubricating oil with a thickener being used to hold the lubricating oil in suspension so a torn boot allows the oil to drain out while retaining the thickener which doesn't do much if any lubricating. That causes premature wear of the metal joint and there will be wear of the socket. That brings on failure. Replacing the boot only covers up the eventual problem.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
When ball joint boots or tie rod boots tear and don't seal the joint, contaminates such as dirt, grit, water ,etc are introduced to the joint. Grease is a lubricating oil with a thickener being used to hold the lubricating oil in suspension so a torn boot allows the oil to drain out while retaining the thickener which doesn't do much if any lubricating. That causes premature wear of the metal joint and there will be wear of the socket. That brings on failure. Replacing the boot only covers up the eventual problem.
It perished with zero km sitting in the garage - new boot is what I need

Warren

Gold forum user
As I pulled a car out of a garage that sat from 1977 to 2017 guess what split first. The original rack gators held on by metal pull ties. Also have a Hokanson front end never been on a driving car and it's boots are failing.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As I pulled a car out of a garage that sat from 1977 to 2017 guess what split first. The original rack gators held on by metal pull ties. Also have a Hokanson front end never been on a driving car and it's boots are failing.
Try as I might; still can't master the technique to re-tie those darned metal pulls.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It perished with zero km sitting in the garage - new boot is what I need
Clean out the thickener residue and install new grease when installing the boot. Depending on the length of time the car has set it's very possible that the oil has drained out of the thickener.