Seeking correct windshield gasket

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When I bought my 66 1A 5 years ago, the windshield was hanging on the wall. The rubber appeared to be original and in very poor condition. I ordered a new windshield rubber #WS51. With the new rubber in the assembly mounted to the car, the top of the frame was hitting the top of the quarter window. At that time, the solution seemed to be to install #WS51 windshield post up/down adjuster to raise the back of the windshield frame to get it parallel to the quarter window. This resulted in the top of the windshield being 1/4”-3/8” too high for 5 years now, letting in the wind and rain. I just pulled the windshield glass out and saw the frame return to it’s correct shape and the problem went away. With some investigation, it has occurred to me that the new and improved windshield rubber is now 1/8”(x2) thicker than the original and spreads the frame open, causing the interference at the top of the quarter.

Hoping someone out there is aware of a windshield rubber available that is the EXACT fit as the original, or a solution otherwise.

Attachments

• 17-11-30 (2).jpg
    17-11-30 (2).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 17-11-30 (3).jpg
    17-11-30 (3).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 17-11-30 (5).jpg
    17-11-30 (5).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Doug C

Gold forum user
When I bought my 66 1A 5 years ago, the windshield was hanging on the wall. The rubber appeared to be original and in very poor condition. I ordered a new windshield rubber #WS51. With the new rubber in the assembly mounted to the car, the top of the frame was hitting the top of the quarter window. At that time, the solution seemed to be to install #WS51 windshield post up/down adjuster to raise the back of the windshield frame to get it parallel to the quarter window. This resulted in the top of the windshield being 1/4”-3/8” too high for 5 years now, letting in the wind and rain. I just pulled the windshield glass out and saw the frame return to it’s correct shape and the problem went away. With some investigation, it has occurred to me that the new and improved windshield rubber is now 1/8”(x2) thicker than the original and spreads the frame open, causing the interference at the top of the quarter.

Hoping someone out there is aware of a windshield rubber available that is the EXACT fit as the original, or a solution otherwise.

Thanks for bringing this up as I know of 3-4 cars that will be needing new windshield rubber so I am sure that we don’t want to experience what you have. Cheers

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Still an Interesting Subject

Have not had any issues with that rubber critter other than the normal 4-handed requirement getting it all in there. Try Sunbeam Spares in the UK and see if Andrew & Malcolm have access to a better piece. Just sayin' . . . . .

Doug C

Gold forum user
Have not had any issues with that rubber critter other than the normal 4-handed requirement getting it all in there. Try Sunbeam Spares in the UK and see if Andrew & Malcolm have access to a better piece. Just sayin' . . . . .

Does Classic Sunbeam Auto Parts and Sumbeam Specialities use the same vendor and part?

tigerbillsbikes

New forum user
CAT Member
windshield gasket

Is the problem the windshield frame to glass seal or the rubber between the windshield frame assembly and the body?

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Approaching solution with optimism

With Rick's assistance at SS, I am convinced that I do in fact have the correct WS to frame seal. Rick was able to send a cross section drawing of the seal from SS. He explained that they actually use the original U1991 factory extrusion die to make the seal, the same tool used by the factory to make the entire production run from 1963 on for all of the production cars. He also said the original factory seal will shrink because the original rubber company (Hertfordshire Polymer Products taken over by BTR) cut the natural rubber material with wax to reduce costs. The seal is currently produced from silicone rubber because it has the same dimensions cured as natural rubber. I have learned that the old seal in my photo, although similar, is from the rear window of my hardtop.
I still have the issue with the compression of the seal (10 linear feet of it) expanding the "very light" WS frame 1/4"-3/8" at the top and tilting toward the quarter windows. Just to clarify: When the empty frame is fastened in place on the car, it is the correct height at the top and the sides are parallel with the quarter windows.
Although not OE, I am considering the development of a small tension rod down the center of the WS frame to maintain the proper assembled height dimension. If I am happy with the outcome, photos may follow/

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Replaced with quality WS gasket

Correction! With much research, I have determined that I DID NOT buy my original replacement gasket from SS. I just purchased and installed a new wind screen gasket from Rick at SS and it was very good quality with molded corners and the ends fused together. It is a huge improvement over my previous new gasket, coming from a different supplier. Very happy with final results.

Doug C

Gold forum user
Correction! With much research, I have determined that I DID NOT buy my original replacement gasket from SS. I just purchased and installed a new wind screen gasket from Rick at SS and it was very good quality with molded corners and the ends fused together. It is a huge improvement over my previous new gasket, coming from a different supplier. Very happy with final results.

Great news as I just bought one from Rick.