Steering Fluid Leak

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi All

After returning from the TE/AE United I put my Tiger up on the lift and I noticed it was leaking fluid from the driver side steering boot (bellows). I did not see any cracks or punctures in the boot. It appears the small outboard seal is just not sealing anymore. See photo. So a few questions.

1. What type fluid do I need (I see the Workshop manual says Shell Spirax...what is the modern equivalent?

2. I thought I remember reading that fluid can be refilled without removing boot. I would like to give this a try first, until I can replace the boot, if necessary. The season is winding down and it looks like a something for the winter project list.

3. Once I get the fluid in is there a way to retighten the existing band?

Thanks

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Hi Jim,

I would suggest you have a look at Brad Penn 80W/90 GL4 gear oil. As a GL4 rated oil, it will be friendly to any yellow metal bushings, washers, etc. in the rack, and the weight looks close enough. You can usually find it at local speed shops, and Summit Racing carries it.

As for tightening the boot end on the tie rod, take a look at the Gator band clamps made by Comp Cams. A local speed shop might carry them, and I know you can get them from Summit. They are like a traditional worm gear hose clamp, but the band has no slots. Thus the band does not cause the rubber to get squeezed into the slots as it is tightened, damaging the rubber.. Should make a good seal. Just totally back out the band from the worm gear mechanism, attach around the rubber and re-engage. The whole thing is made of stainless steel, which is kind of nice.

You might want to look for a fuel injection hose clamp. If you can get one in the correct size, they make a particularly nice smooth 360 degree contact with the hose, actually probably better than the Gator clamps.

Gene

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi All

I knew I had read about this issue in a previous post. I did not realize that it was only about a half dozen posts back and it discussed exactly what I was asking. The old gray matter is just not what it use to be.

Thanks

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I need to apologize to Jim and everyone else for some bad information in my earlier reply.

While the Gator clamps do indeed have a band without slots which would work nicely, the bands are too wide to fit in the molded groove in the end of the boots/bellows.

Gene

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Clamp Options

Gene

Thanks for the update. Does anybody have any recommendations for clamps? I know plastic ties are an option...that is what is place now. Just thought that a clamp might provide a better seal.

Oh yeah, upon closer inspection I found a split in the rubber boot. So I will be replacing them.

Thanks.

Warren

Gold forum user
Nobodys

perfect. Something has to be better than the white zip ties S.S. sells with their convoluted gaiters. I used some black ones and I used synthetic in the front rack as it is staying put.The original ones were metal weren't they? As I recall I sold a 25 year plus roller with the metal bands and a stiff rack.

On the other posting regarding GL 4 oil. Last week I dropped a brass key in a cup of it. I cleaned the key with a wire brush and dropped it in a plastic cup of the GL4 stinky Olein Sulfate 90 wt. been there for a week now. I am not brave enough to put on gas pilot light on stove for some temperature tests. I have some in transmission, but am trusting that the Sulfur content is offset by science and magic additives, beyond my pay grade. The trans will get a quick rebuild and mods soon enough.

Last edited:

Jeff F

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Well, hopefully my first post here will be a useful one.

I just went through the same problem with clamps. My boots were torn and I ordered a new set from Classic Sunbeam. I was told they came with metal clamps (Yea!). They did, but they didn't fit (Boo!). Apparently the supplier had just switched from zip ties to metal clamps, and I guess I was the guinea pig.

The problem is that the new boot isn't really properly sized for this rack. Both ends of it have to be stretched a bit to fit over the housing/tie rod. This isn't really a problem, but it stretches it enough that neither clamp is even close to fitting.
attachment.php

After searching for clamps, I found something that would work. They are a little bit wider than I would like, but are OK. The only clamp I could find that was the exact proper width was a Oetiker clamp. I really wanted a screw clamp so I could tighten it on the car if needed.
attachment.php

attachment.php

There is a smaller size for the small end that might be a better fit, but I'm not sure it will work. It is for a 5/8" ID versus 3/4" ID. Doing the math, that is .40" less in circumference and I don't think I have that much of a tail hanging out.

Of course I had to buy a pack of 10 for each, so my next 4 racks are covered.:rolleyes: Or I suppose I could sell the extras to someone else who doesn't want to buy 10.

The clamps came from McMaster-Carr:
Small Clamp P/N 5076K13
Large Clamp P/N 5076K18

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
Of course I had to buy a pack of 10 for each, so my next 4 racks are covered.:rolleyes: Or I suppose I could sell the extras to someone else who doesn't want to buy 10.

The clamps came from McMaster-Carr:
Small Clamp P/N 5076K13
Large Clamp P/N 5076K18

Hey Jeff:
Welcome to the forum! I'd be interested in purchasing a set of clamps from you since I'm getting ready to replace the bellows on my rack and am not thrilled with the "deluxe" zip ties that came with the new boots. I sent you a PM but don't know how many posts people have to have to receive them.

Thanks,
Paul